Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

It's just amazing....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Gard, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...how much better you feel when you can breathe properly!

:eek:

Last Tuesday I started feeling a bit under the weather, like I was getting a bit of a chest cold. Started taking it easy, taking cold meds, etc, etc.

Kept getting worse (hint #1 for me, I usually knock these out in a day, two tops), until by Thursday afternoon I had to leave work. Couldn't breathe, couldn't stay awake, couldn't stop coughing and sneezing. Woke up Friday, and barely could get out of bed. Didn't want to do ANYTHING (hint #2 for me, I generally am very active, particularly when it comes to spending time with my fiancee and her kids - didn't even want her to come take care of me!).

I figure, OK, I'll just take it easy over the weekend, and I'll be OK, it's JUST A COLD, right?

Spend the weekend in the above condition, no improvement, as a matter of fact getting WORSE. Finally, my fiancee, dad, and grandmother all start to ride me about it, they KNOW I'm really sick, no matter how stubborn I am that it's "just a cold". I get triple-teamed into agreeing to go to the doctor first thing Monday, if I'm not better.

Well, yesterday, I'm not better. A man of my word, even if I don't like it sometimes, I get to the doctor.

Diagnosis: Bronchitis and a sinus infection!

:eek:

The doc said that if I'd let it go another day or two, it would have been pneumonia.

Moral of the story #1, don't try to diagnose yourself!

Moral of the story #2, it really is amazing how much better you think and feel when you are getting enough oxygen to your brain and muscles! ;)

On a personal note, the doctor avoidance thing is something I fear I picked up from my late mother. She would do any and everything to avoid a trip to the doctor. I am making it a goal to change this in myself, and those of you out there with that habit, I hope you will take heed and do the same!

2. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    good health is something i try not to take for granted.

i get the same cold conditions about twice a year and the whole experience is just agony because i sit and think about what its like to be healthy versus my current state of sickness that i happen to be in at the time.

i am chronic doctor avoider as well. :(

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Aw come on, even pneumonia eventually goes away. :D

-Mike

4. Yeah, along with your dire need to breathe.

Good going Gard.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Hey man, I'm just flippin' Gard some flack. I would have gone to the doctor as well.

-Mike

6. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    whoah, good thing you went, man. :eek:

yeah, last week, when i noticed a developing sore throat, i made sure to call the school infirmary first thing.

mainly cuz i'm a wuss. :D

7. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    draG, you're not getting any younger... you should of known better.... oh, wait, didn't I just tell you that i'm the same way...

:D ;)

8. Chris M

Chris M

Oct 23, 2005
    Littleton, CO
    I just finished recovering from pneumonia around the first of the year.. Man, that was painful.

I ended up spending a Friday evening in the ER thanks to the pain.

I ended up with a partially collapsed lung because I wasn't able to breathe deeply..

9. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Tell that to a longtime asthma patient :p

There were times I would've suffocated without my medicine...

... and having an attack and discovering you left the medicine home is a bit scary...

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I know what you mean. First week of January (and my last week of Christmas vacation) I had the flu, then I got a sinus infection and now ever since then I have not been able to shake these allergies and the resulting sneezing attacks and alternately stopped up/runny nose. Today I'm going to the doctor to see if I can't get some better allergy meds.

brad cook

11. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Nothing against the little kids, but they can be dirty little devils.... I'm sure that's not helping you...... just spray them down with Lysol every morning! How hard can that be?

:D