It's like a NBD! Low Down Bass overhauls my Jazz!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eilif, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Just picked up my Parts-Jazz from Low Down Bass (Tim Seisser) today. Tim replaced the Warmoth 34" P-bass neck with a 35", 1.75" neck that he modeled after my Carlo. The 3+1 headstock means that it still fits nicely into standard bags and cases.

Other specs:
    -Swamp Ash body
    -Maple Rosewood Neck
    -Hipshot Lic. Ultralight tuners
    -BadassII Bridge
    -Dimarzio Model J-pups
    -Passive electronics with series/paralell switch on a push-pull pot.
    -Maple Veneer Pickguard
    -Rickenbacker knobs

20180105_114721.jpg
    It may still have my body, pups, electronics and hardware, but it's like a whole new bass! I'm blown away at how good it feels and sounds. Tim glued veneer into the neck pocket to hold the neck tighter and also installed threaded inserts in the neck.
    20180105_114458.jpg
    The Maple veneer pickguard is something he gave me as he had it leftover from another project and it only required a bit of finessing of the PG holes.
    20180105_114648.jpg Weight is middle-of-the-road. A bit lighter than with the warmoth neck and very comfortable.
    20180105_114528.jpg 20180105_114629.jpg

This bass has been in various forms for about 15 years. Originally it was an oil finished body with a Fender '62 jazz replacement neck and a tortise shell pickguard. Didn't like the way the oil finish body looked with the nitro Fender neck and the neck was too skinny so I got a warmoth P-bass neck. My step-brother-in-law painted the headstock and body red and I added a pearloid guard. The warmorth neck was good but too thick and I had fallen in love with the 35" scale , 1.75" nut and shallow profile of my Carlo so I brought it to Tim and I'm really happy with what we came up with.
    20180105_114426.jpg
    Here's my triumvirate of bases that all share the same scale, nut and neck profile. Carlo, Wendler Electrocoustic and LDB Jazz.
    20180105_115615.jpg
    I'm taking the Carlo and LDB to my gig today and if the LDB does well, I may have Carl Pedigo convert the Carlo to BEAD later this year. I feel best on 4 strings but I do miss having a low B.

Anywho, count me as one very satisfied customer of LDB. I'm loving this bass and hope to someday have Tim build me one from the ground up.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    kobass, phishaholik and NigelD like this.
  2. Eilif

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Minor update.
    Since the initial review I have since taken the bass to at least 4 gigs. It's really great and has pushed my much-modded MIM P out of the top two choices for the pair (I bring two to every gig) I bring for my country trio. I still mix it up a bit but now I'm usually bringing the LDB Jazz and the Carlo (custom 35' 4-94 style) to each show and playing a set on each.

3. mojomike001

mojomike001

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    Nice. I dig those Dimarzio pickups. No noise whatsover and if the neck pickup is soloed, it can do great job of copping a P sound.

4. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Interesting...you're the only 4-stringer I've heard about, that prefers 35" (usually reserved for 5-string and up). I do notice that even a 4 with extra long scale, tightens up the higher strings a good bit, too. This why you switched from 34"?

5. Eilif

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    They really are sweet. I don't think they'd satisfy someone looking for a vintage J or high-fi modern J, but the tone is really great and as you say, there's no buzz at all.

At first I used the neck pickup soloed quite a bit. After I put in the Series-Parallel switch I'm much more likely to just go to series.

It's hard to say exactly. I liked the 35" on the 55-01 I had before and when I chanced across a used 35", "1.75 nut, 4 string Carlo in Carl Pedigo's workshop it just fit me better than anything I'd ever played before and I had to have it. I have long arms so the reach is not an issue. I do like the tension that it gives to all strings, but I admit that some of that could be just my imagination.

Additionally, after I got the Carlo I had a Wendler fretless built with the same dimensions to make it as easy as possible to go back and forth. When it came to putting a better neck on my jazz I did the same and am glad I did.

I'm pretty set on this neck and nut configuration now and after gigging a bit with the jazz, it's pretty much a done-deal that I'll going to convert my Carlo to BEAD and that at some point in the future I'll be re-necking my Darkstar frankenbass or having a new bass built for those pickups to bring it into the same neck specs.

Lastly, this has the nice side effect of absolutely killing my GAS for other instruments. There's almost nothing I can afford now that meets my preferrences and after 20+ basses owned, I've learned not to settle.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    songwriter21 likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021