1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

It's modding season again!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SoulMaim, Dec 29, 2006.

1. SoulMaim

SoulMaim

Dec 1, 2005
    Ontario
    Since the new year is almost upon us, I figured it might be a good time to possibly add a newe mod to my beefed up precision.

It's already been modded extensively which can be seen in this thread:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=255592

While the Model One sounds good and adds and even beefier tone, I've been craving the "clank" lately. I've been contemplating adding a Seymour duncan Ric bridge replacement pickup to the bridge position in this bass, and using either a stacked knob for the Model One/Ric volume, or a 3 way switch to go between P/Ric+P/Ric pickups.

I wonder if the replacement Ric pickup would give a good rick-ish clank in that 'ol precision slab? That's definitely what I'd be lookin' for...

Alternately if I were to not put a Ric replacement in, I'd consider a SD quarter pounder reverse P for the bridge postition. What do you guys think, any recommendations?

And sound clips (especially of the SD Ric replacement or reverse P bridge PU's) would be appreciated if anyone has some:cool:

and here's a pic for ya:
    IMG_0847.

2. I've got a mod in the works on my P, I'm adding an active preamp, which will help with the piezo I installed in the neck pocket

3. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    The Ric pickup won't work with a Fender string spacing, the Ric spacing is closer together- I think Bartolini makes a soapbar-style Ric bridge pickup though (it may not really sound like a Rickenbacker at all!).
    I'd look at a Nordstrand Big Single or one of their other pickups- they seem like pretty killer single coils, if singles are what you're looking for!

Karl

4. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I recently reworked my Ash P-bass. I added a BadAss III bridge, and Lollar pickup with Hoveland tone cap, and rewired like a '57 with 500k pots, and Fender flat wound strings. It was a very satisfying improvement!

5. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    The SD Rick replacement has bars rather than polepieces so string alignment shouldn't be an issue. My USA Tempest has a Model 1 in the neck and a SD Rick bridge pickup, and it's a good combo as the bridge is bright and grindy and a nice offset to the thump in the Model 1.

JR

6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I guess from the thumbrest you mainly play behind the pickups near the bridge. What strings do you use and what gauge?

Nice bass by the way. I am not a huge fan of white, but I really like how the tort and rosewood blend and then contrast to the white. Very tasteful! (I sound like an English teacher "compare and contrast the use of white in SoulMaim's bass" ;) )

7. SoulMaim

SoulMaim

Dec 1, 2005
    Ontario
    I just have the thumbrest there for when I want to get a more growly and "J-ish" tone without actually having a J pickup (well it works a little). Usually I play more over the P, but I tend to go between the P and the thumbrest depending on my mood.
    I use Ernie Ball hybrid slinkies, I really like them for the slapping and popping -beefy enough E while the D and G aren't to tense feeling.
    Actually the bass isn't white it's daphne blue (fender's lightest blue I think?) it almost looks white-ish or grayish sometimes. Yeah I really like how the tort contrasts with it.

Oh JGR -the model one and SD Ric bridge sound like they would be a killer combo!
    I don't think it'd be a problem putting the SD Ric pup in, since it is dual rails after all, unless they're not as wide as the total string spacing width, which would just be wierd.

It may not actually end up sounding like a Ric, but I want to add some clank... and still have the default P to fall back on for when things call for that "trebly P" or "thumpy P" tone.

8. SoulMaim

SoulMaim

Dec 1, 2005
    Ontario
    bummmpppp