Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

It's my birthday! Help me decide.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by grygrx, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Black Cat Octave Fuzz

5 vote(s)
    7.8%
  2. EH P.O.G.

19 vote(s)
    29.7%
  3. Fulltone Bassdrive

13 vote(s)
    20.3%
  4. Aphex Bass Xciter

12 vote(s)
    18.8%
  5. late add: MXR Bass Blowtorch

15 vote(s)
    23.4%
  1. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Staff Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Current setup is pretty simple and I want to play around with some more effects. I'm having a hard time making up my mind which direction to go for a gift and figured why not post a poll and get some tb input! I've fooled with a lot of pedals locally but I've listed some I never see around here but have caught my ear or I hear good things about. I figured I'd move into "something nice" (aka: expensive) for my birthday.

Sound: Rock, Hard-Rock, Cow-Rock, Moody Alt rock

Current Rig:
    Dingwall AB-1 -> Cool Cat Chorus -> Bad Monkey -> Old Rack Compressor -> Eden WT400 -> Schroeder 1210

Things that have my attention
    • Black Cat Octave Fuzz
    • EH P.O.G.
    • Fulltone Bassdrive
    • Aphex Bass Xciter
    • late add: MXR Bass Blowtorch

Something else? Post the details

Recent things I've ruled out:
    • MXR Auto-Q : I'm not funky enough
    • EMMA Discombobulator: I'm not funky enough
    • Jekyl and Hyde: Some low end tone suck, not bad, but to much to tolerate in a pedal of it's price.

2. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Well, I can only speak of the Aphex Bass Xciter because that is what I own out of your list. It's a great sounding little unit! Not so much of an effect though, just a bottom filler. It makes passive basses sound a bit like active (I haven't tried it on my ABI yet). It can be addictive though; when you start using it, everything sounds wimpy when you turn it off.

3. jujube_2a

jujube_2a

Jan 18, 2006
    Corsica, France
    I own the fulltone bassdrive.
    It's a fantastic overdrive/disortion!
    You can aslo use it as a clean boost/distortion thank to the comp cut mode and the dual channels or get a fuzzy sound with distortion set to the max!
    And it's true bypass!
    Believe me, you won't need another distortion for the rest of your life.
    Chek out the reviews at harmony central :
    http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Data/Fulltone/Bass_Drive-01.html
    :D

4. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I reccomend the MXR Blow Torch. But only because I want one, and I need some opinions!

From what I've actually had experience with, the Fulltone is quite good. Actually, I kinda wish more distortion pedals came with two channels. True bypass as well.

Graeme

5. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The POG gets my vote. It enhances your creative potential and sound palette more than any of the other pedals you listed.

6. grygrx

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    I personally feel pretty lusty toward the POG and if it was <$ I would be all over it. The price means would have to leverage gift money with some personal funds to make it happen. That said, I also feel that coverage of some more "basic" areas (as represented by some of the other choices) might serve me better... hence my conundrum.

7. IcedEarthWOM

IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    The real question you should ask yourself:

"what do I want to add to my sound"

From your post:
    I think you already have an answer...

8. grygrx

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Sure a lot of votes for a pedal few people their hands on :)

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    For me it would almost definately be the POG if you need an octaver. If not it's a waste. Definately a cool toy, cooler if you can utilize it musically.

10. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    POG is just so cool, that's all I have to say. It's pricey but less than buying an 12 string bass. Planning to get one when I have plenty of money and can surpress other GAS.

11. amistybleu

amistybleu

Jan 15, 2006
    Thornton, CO
    Don't mean to Hijack but what does GAS refer to?

12. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    i completely agree i use it with a crybaby wah and it sounds very very good. I recomend it if you got the cash

13. Wabbit_Swayer

Wabbit_Swayer

Sep 24, 2004
    Pullman, WA
    Fulltone BassDrive, can take you from a little subtle grit to massive, chaotic noise with the boost switch. Its my favorite thus far.

14. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    GAS = Gear Acquisition Syndrome...

I'd go for the POG, especially if you know you'll use it.. I'm kinda eyeing it as well for doing some of the trio work I do.

and dude... you forgot carrots...

15. grygrx

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    I think I'm to go POG. The fact that I have some birthday cash softens the cost blow some and I figure if I didn't have the money as a launching pad I will NEVER get one. Things like the bassdrive or the xciter I can see myself coughing up the total cost for someday. Thanks for humoring me! :)

16. grygrx

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    I have received the POG, and my hand hurts a little from a multi-hour (4?) session I just finished. It is a wild-child... the sounds coming out of my amp (especially at first) were insane. Anytime I kick in the 2nd octave it sounds like the dark carnival is coming to town. That said, I think I found a setting that is insanely usable for me creating massive depth a fierce crunch. Likely the bad monkey likes grabbing onto some of those higher freq.

Bass -> POG -> Bad Monkey -> Amp

POG Settings: Input 50%, Dry: 75% SubOCt: 55% +1OCT:25% +1detuned: 75%, +2/+2detuned: 0 , LP: 55% (setting 2)

BM: lvl:9o'clock, low: 5, high:3, gain: 10

I'll see if I can record a little line to show the difference.

17. grygrx

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
  18. That's VERY cool.

I'm GASing for one of those now, thanks;)

19. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    ACK... That sounds freaking amazing with the distortion...

You using a pick?

20. grygrx

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Yep