it's my first time

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dimplebutt, Oct 13, 2003.

1. dimplebutt

Oct 13, 2003
    Well i've searched through a little bit of the forum and well i need your help. Basicly i have an Ibanez SR-400 that i'm learning on and i have about 500 to spend on an amp.

I really like the sound of a hartke, and GK. i've tried the new SWR but it really wasn't too much of my liking. size and portability isn't realyy an issue but i do want something that will last and soemthign with some punch. what do you guys recommend thanks.. and if this issue has been adress can a mod or someone link me to another thread Thanks!!

P.S i don't mind used either.. so anyone in SoCal. hook it up!!
  2. JPGT

Aug 19, 2000
    Carlisle, PA
    Which SWR did you try? You can probably find a used SWR Workingman's 12 or 15 for around that price, or maybe even a new WM15 for $650. IMHO, the Workingman series are some of the best combos out there for the price. You get alot of features, a decent amount of power, killer tone, and they're pretty darn portable. The new models (blue carpet covering vs. the old gray) even have wheels mounted on the back so you can tilt and roll them. They are also pretty relatively light, at least 15 pounds less than a similar Peavey.
    That being said, the Ampeg combos are also worth looking at, and I have heard lots of good things about GK, you might even be able to afford a used GK head and an Avatar cab.
    Hope this helps, and good luck with your search.

3. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    If you like the SWR Workingman 15 combo's, on ebay you can usually find one for about, $350. Just type in SWR in the search, it gives your more search results too.
  4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    There's nothing wrong with the G-K combos, although I'd prefer to stick with one of the older models instead of a Backline.

I'm rather fond of G-K tone.
  5. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    I havn't played the Backlines, but the price gets me for only 125watts. Isn't it like $950 of
  6. Used power amps and speakers can be found very cheap. Used 500+ watt amps (QSC, etc.) and used 2x10's or 1x15's are common for $200 (apiece). That leaves $100 left over for a preamp, which could take a bit of work to find. And used racks are easy to come by.

Beware the SWR WM series, they sound great but don't cut it in a loud band.
  7. dimplebutt

Oct 13, 2003
    i played both the 15 and the 12. i didn't like it that much, but i'll try it again and see what i like.

My church has a 2x10 GK combo and it's cool. but i was just wondering what my other options are and I definately don't mind used. and i think i'mgoing more towards combo's rather than a stack cuz. if i'm going to get a stack i want to put more money into it,. But if you guys think that i can get a decent combo then so be it

... But man thanks for all the suggestions. you guys are making me reevaluate some things.. myf riend said something about ashdown?