it's new bass time!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adept_inept, Jan 20, 2006.

1. adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    my GAS and necessity has built to like, an explosion.

so, yea, i've decided putting more cash into my ibanez would be stupid, and its best leaving it as my back up bass.

its time to start shopping for somthing new.

theres A LOT out there. so anyone wanna help?

here's the parameters:

$700-$1500 give or take (mostly give)
    4 strings
    relative simplicity
    not a musicman or fender
    good versatility for alternative rock/slap

JJBACOOMBA Commercial User

May 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Lecompte Bass Owners Club Member #2
    Lecompte!! I just got mine and I am very pleased with it.I will be ordering another soon.
  3. +1 Bud's the man...order now...

if you can't wait, then I suggest Lakland Skyline
  4. adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    well, as much as a custom would be cool, i'm not exactly sure what i would want to order as far as custom goes...

plus, i really wanna try before i buy. that seems optimum.

dingwalls seem cool... the body shape is ALMOST exactly like one i drew up for a for a possible custom i would want built like 2 months ago.

i hadn't heard of dingwall before. looks cool.
  5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Dingwall Afterburner 1, 4 string. If you get one that doesn't have a super-fancy top on it, it will be in your price range. If you want some bling, save up the extra hundred and fifty bucks for the flame maple top.

By far you'd be getting a bass that is worth more than 1500, has GREAT resale value if you ever want to sell it AND you'll have a bass that very few others will have.
  6. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    ...and if you're not above buying used, you can easily get a premium bass for $1000- $1500. Heck, $700-$800 puts you in territory for some used Warwicks.

Maybe someone in the TB classifieds is selling a bass in your price range that tickles your fancy. You may find someone who lives a reasonable driving distance from you and you could visit and try out the bass.

It's hard for me to recommend specific basses since individual tastes are always different and if you factor in the used market, your options soar.

Good luck with your bass hunt and hope you find a winner.
  7. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Do you like your Ibanez? Maybe you could go for a nicer one..what model do you currently have?
    And as someone said before.. look for a used Warwick.
  8. Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    Endorsing Aguilar Amp product.
    Lakland Daryl Jones.. Or JO or BG... or maybe you don't like the Fender-ish Look... But Lakland could be a great choice

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    You could get a new Warwick Corvette at Guitar Center for just over $1000 USD. a spector would also be good those are a little more pricey. You shoudl go to a vintage shop and check out stuff there you never kow what you can find
  10. Just saw 2 Yamaha TRB1005 (5 stringers) at the local GC - 799. Fantastic tone capabilities, although string spacing is a little tight for me. TRB1004s should do well for you.

Schecter Stilettos - awesome tone as well.

For me, if I liked stock four strings, it would be between these three:

Spectors - especially if you're looking for a 4 string. They've got the tone, many in your price range, and the curved back make them fit really nice - it almost becomes part of you.

You could always look for a used Modulus too - you'd be in heaven with tone and playability, and graphite neck means no warping.

4 string Roscoe - a used one should be in your price range.

Good luck!
  11. adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    yea, the stiletto would be like.. staying in the same exact category. the modulus would be something else.

same with a roscoe.
  12. Warwickluvr

Dec 26, 2005
    Warwick Corvette Standard.

I got mine for $899 new at GC. Beautiful and extremely playable. Can't get much better, especially for that price.
  13. Lakland. Call up Jive Sound or shoot jive an email. He'll help you out .
  14. Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004

Look for the Euro Spectors. A Euro 4LX is a good choice for a neck through or a Rebop is a great bolt-on. They're probably the most comfortable bass to play and they have tone that won't quit.