1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

It's not dark enough yet to play that song

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Richland123, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    We played an outdoor gig at a firemen's festival Friday. A young guy (who is a guitarist) was running one of the rides and requested Seven Nation Army by The White Stripes before we started. We played from 8:00 - 11:00 pm and it was still light outside during our first set. About half way into our first set, I suggested playing Seven Nation Army for his request. Our drummer, who sings the song, said, "I want to wait until it's darker to play that song." I said, "Now, that is funny waiting until it's darker." We were into our second set and I suggested it again and our drummer said, "It's not dark enough yet." I said, "I did not know there was a level of darkness related to playing certain songs." Finally, I asked is it dark enough yet and did we reach the level of darkness required on the darkness and light meter to play Seven Nation Army?" We played the song and everybody loved it.

Now, we have a new phrase in our band lexicon - "It's not dark enough yet to play that song!"

2. nightingale

nightingale

Mar 26, 2012
    HAHA!
    Wait until its darker? How does that make any sense?

3. birdman14

birdman14

Feb 7, 2011
    Boston
    I see this as implying two different things. From experience, that song is rather tough unless you have a great upper range, and the drummer might be using the other songs to warm his voice up. I know that after several hours of singing, my voice is lose enough to sing songs otherwise not in my range. Either that, or he was waiting for the booze to get flowing and everyone to get a little tipsy so as to get some dancers on the floor.

4. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Sorry to say that neither was the case. We have played Seven Nation Army before in the first set of a gig with no warm up but it was outdoors and also there was no booze at this firemen's festival.

5. I'm totally stealing that...

6. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    He was waiting for the "vibe" or mood that only the darkness affords...

7. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Does your drummer sing any other songs? Maybe he was waiting for the cover of night to give him a little confidence boost?

8. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Our drummer sings lead and harmony on lots of songs all through the gig and that is what made his statements even more absurdly funny.

Maybe we need one of these Darkness Meters to measure the appropriate level of darkness required to perform Seven Nation Army. :D

9. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    I've heard "It's not drunk enough in here yet for that" quite often..sometimes it's even at a gig! :bag:

10. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    "It's not dark enough to play that song," left on the cutting room floor for Spinal Tap movie.

11. I'm stealing this too...

12. wong99

wong99

Jun 6, 2012
    If a statement like that came from anyone other than a drummer I would worry about that person. But coming from a drummer... well, you know!

14. Haha I'm going to use this at our next gig.

15. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009