It's not The Eagles...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by avvie, Mar 21, 2011.

1. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    ...the band is called Eagles.

Not The Eagles.... just Eagles.

Just an FYI for you all. I don't care because I'm no fan of them at all... in fact, I'd be happy if I never heard Eagles again and old white guys never covered them again.

Wikipedia keeps referring to them as The Eagles also. Wikipedia is wrong.

2. dannylectro

dannylectro Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Hartsdale, NY
    From the Eagles official website Eagles | News | eaglesband.com

Eagles in China
    The Eagles will perform at Shanghai Mercedes-Benz Arena and Beijing Wukesong Arena on March 9 Wednesday and March 12 Saturday as part of their "Long Road Out of Eden World Tour." Tickets are on sale now.

BTW - old white guys will stop covering Eagles tunes when young women stop wanting to hear them. Which is to say, probably not in my lifetime!

3. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    My copy of "On The Border" says "Eagles" on the cover, but inside it says "The Eagles are:". The spine of my copy of "Their Greatest Hits" says "The Eagles" while the front cover simply says "Eagles". Since they're inconsistent, I figure it's legitimate to say it either way.

Since Bernie Leadon quit, Randy Meisner quit, and Henley & Frey fired Don Felder, I call 'em "The Egos".

jte

4. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    This thread makes me think of Talking Heads and Eurythmics (I hope I spelled that right!). People tend to put "the" in front of those names, but it's incorrect. Regarding the Eagles, or simply Eagles, I don't know.

5. What about wild eagle?
    regards

6. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Eagles are so old now and losing their hair that they should change their name to Bald Eagles

7. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    lol @ Richland123!

I think it was Glenn Frey who named the band, insisting that it was "Eagles"... unfortunately he couldn't get anyone to submit to not adding "The" as a prefix after a decade of groups with animal names. I should imagine that he gave up trying and that's why the official website misnames them. It really is an uphill battle, doncha think?

8. lolz @ Richmond

quick question: Who cares? They wrote "Hotel California" and thats all that matters :bag:

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    i was going to say "who cares because they all suck except for joe walsh," but the bottom line is "who cares?"

:D

10. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    This post seems at odds with your apathy.

Perhaps if young white guys would record something worth covering...

11. ROCKY MOUNTAIN WEEEEIIGGHHH

12. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Jesus, man, can you change the channel? I've had a rough night and I hate the f***ing Eagles.

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...and it's a rip-off of a Tull tune at that!

All these "The" talk reminds me-
    Back in the '80s, my Top-40 cover band was playing some dump...with flyers advertising what I thought were The Guess Who.
    So I called my radio jock friend sayin' "...man, we just played the same club that the Guess Who will be playing in next week"!
    He said, "No, the band next week is called Guess Who...not The Guess Who".

14. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast

May 7, 2010
    Philadelphia
    For me, Eagles will be "The Eagles" for the same reason Favre is "Fav-ray". Really, what has either done to deserve their name being handled properly?

15. I routinely put "The" in front of every band name (and pluralize) just to annoy and confuse. The Led Zeppelins. The Rainbows. The Funkadelics. The Muses. And sometimes for extra fun, The The Jimi Hendrix Experiences.

(in B4 The The The's)

16. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    LOL. Yeah, it sure isn't the band it was back in '76 when I saw them.

Anyway, on the topic of the before and band name, The The has to be the winner. I mean, who would just call them The. That would be silly! :bag:

17. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    AZ, USA
    All I can say is that the replacement guitarist slaughters Felder's leads.

18. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    +1

This statement wins the thread.

19. pica

pica

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    If your not a fan, why do you even care.

20. This thread has a very good win-to-meh ratio. I'd say 11 to 3 or so.

Closer to on topic- more than once I've heard a rockin Mexican cover of Hotel C. Pardon my ethnic ignorance(especially as I am a Nor Cal native :rolleyes:); I cannot ID the genre it was done in- that uptempo, ska/polka-type stuff you hear in the good(and bad , I suppose..)burrito places.
    MUCH better than the original, IMO.

Edit: This might be it:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021