1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

It's not the P I've been looking for, but.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jbybj, Oct 18, 2009.

1. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    After 30 years of playing only my jazz bass, and my last 5 years of collecting, (Alembic, Wishbass, Line 6 variax, custom parts bass, etc.) I found myself interested in acquiring a P bass.

For months I have been searching and auditioning, Fenders, Squiers, clones, new, used. The only times I have been tempted were by a 5 string American Fender, (just don't have the cash) and a Squier Classic Vibe 50's P, (just can't reconcile the single coil hum).

Two nights ago I was at the West L.A. GC and a very earnest, not too annoying salesman, on about the 7th try, handed me this. A Korean made Spector Spectorcore chambered 4 string fretted bass, in Amberburst.

DSCF4064.

DSCF4065.

DSCF4068.

DSCF4072.

DSCF4073.

I was smitten immediately, as I am a sucker for "F" holes and quilted maple. It was comfy, and even though the action was way too high, played nicely.

When I figured out that there was a separate volume and tone for each pup, the EMG and the Fishman Piezo, I was hooked. Love the Piezo tone, and the EMG Hz, while not my cup of tea on it's own, blends nicely with the piezo. Of course, an EMG 35P will drop right in the route, and give me everything I could ask for in this instrument.

I have learned not to act impulsively, and left the store as they closed. They had a $449 price tag on it. Finding a few on line used for a similar price, and finding a couple having sold here for the high $200's, I returned the next morning, ready to play hardball. First I had a salesman find me an allen wrench so I could lower the action and check the frets. Played much better, and still no fret buzz. Still sounded good to me in the light of day.

I was going to offer $400, for the bass, a good padded bag, including tax out the door, or let it slide. When I found someone who could o.k. a deal, before I opened my big mouth, he checked his computer and asked me is $249 was alright. So I was out the door with a nice bag and tax for less than $320. The finish is perfect, can't find a flaw, cosmetic, structural, or electronic. And it is a blast to play. I am very impressed with this find.

I like bass guitars..

JBY

2. Deepwoods

Deepwoods Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis
    Gorgeous bass! I have typically been a P bass guy as well and am awaiting my first Spector (Legend Classic 4) that I just bought from the classifieds here from Blackbird23005.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=587689

I have never played a Spector, there are no dealers in St. Louis. I like the fact that EMG has a direct replacement, the same pup's I have in my Steinberger which sound great. Enjoy your new instrument!

3. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Very cool, them Spectorcores are just awesome!:bassist:

4. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    That's a heck of a bass for that price - good job bro!

5. you will love your bass
    If i had a 4 stringer vs the 5 I had I would still have my Legend
    the tone is freaking amazing for an import
    and the body comfort forgetaboutit

6. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    Very sweet!

What's the nut width and neck profile like?

=wr=

7. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    The nut is 1 9/16 inches, and the neck feels alot like my 69 jazz bass. It's not flat but what I would guess is called a C profile.

I played it for a while today, no remorse yet! The last time I felt this comfortable this quickly with a bass, was when I found my Alembic Epic. I knew immediately with both of them.

8. ShirazBop

ShirazBop

Sep 29, 2006
    Greensboro, NC
    Excellent Score!
    I bet shes svelt on the scale......

9. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    8 lbs on the digi bathroom scale. She looks lighter than she is I guess.