1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

It's Official...4/18/06 is JP Appreciation Day.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mrphattay, Apr 18, 2006.

1. mrphattay

mrphattay Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2005
    Hey Gang
    JP & his Basses have been the topic of the day on various threads and forums this date. One beautiful Bass after another has been showcased before us by proud owners. All beautiful examples of his artistry.

His legend has spread to the point where even the scammers have taken note and are trying to get a piece of the JP Mojo. Shameful ! The Price of Fame, I guess. So, here's a bit of good cheer sent his way.

Well, since it's his day, I thought it only appropriate to unveil and reintroduce one of his classics which has recently been reinvented, and returned. A beautiful Zia 6, just back from France, and newly fitted with a wonderful Padauk neck/FB. I'm honored to call it mine.

The Bass, formerly owned by TB'r Lionel (a terrific guy), has been through a few manifestations...a very colorful existence in it's short life. It was originally created with a highly figured Maple/Maple neck, only to be reinvented with a beautiful, new M. Ebony FB mated to the Maple Neck.
    After an unfortunate happening, it was necessary to yet again reconstitute the neck. This time into the present Padauk/Padauk configuration.

Well, I think that 3's a charm, because the Bass looks, feels and plays wonderfully. (Although, to be honest, each one of this Bass' births was equally a triumph. Each worthy of favorite status.)

The photos attached are there to celebrate JP's artistry.
    His skill is marvelously apparent with every line. However, even more amazing is the commitment to craft and the dedication to old-world excellence that he brings to each job.
    He imbues his Basses with that special French Mojo that only he possesses.
    So, here's to JP...- Dealing with him during a build is one of the most rewarding experiences one could have with a luthier. He is incredibly gifted, receptive and generous.
    He's generous to fault and has an unwavering need to get things right. Making something great, is apparently JP's prime concern. If his initials are on the headstock, then it must be wonderful. Period. No discussion.
    Case in point: He upgraded the Electronics (Blend knob) to the more current setup. He also reshielding the Cavity to his current specs...- all for free. Why did he do it ? I think because while it was in his hands, he had an opprotunity to make one of his Bass' better. As simple as that. He saw an opportunity to more fully realize his vision of how the Bass should sound, and he just couldn't pass up the opportunity.

Owning this Bass is a blessing; getting to know JP is yet another one. I'm hard pressed to decide which is the greater one. Thank You JP for a great experience and a magnificent Bass.
    _Bill

Attached Files:

2. mrphattay

mrphattay Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2005
    Here's the prior realizations of this Bass:

Attached Files:

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Wow, you don't get a more glowing review than that.

4. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    NorCal
    Congrats on the bass! All of its versions look great :p And kudos to JP for bein' awesome :D

5. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Who is this JP guy anyway???:bag: :help: I don't think i need another one:smug:

6. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    :eek:

indeed !

Bill, I can't thank you enough for all your kind words my friend. You've been so patient and nice during the process, I'm just glad you're enjoying your bass now. You can't imagine how your words sound to me. Much appreciated.

Peace,
    JP