Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

It's Official: Chicago GTG Nov. 12th

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Warwickthumb, Sep 20, 2005.

1. GTG INFO​
    Bass Club Chicago ​
    12213 S. Cicero Avenue​
    Alsip, Illinois 60803​
    Phone (708) 385-3521​
    November 12, 2005​

2. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I'd love to do it. I'll be in Chicago for the weekend of October 15th.

Even if there is no GTG that weekend, let me know if any of y'all got any gigs.

3. Same here. I was able see a fellow TB'er play here in Rockford. And he ripped it up on stage.

4. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

I might be able to make it if it's the right time, I'm just a long way away.

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Im not too far south of chicago. Maybe if we do it somewhat away from Chicago proper, so finding the place wouldn't be so bad, it would be great!

6. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Would be cool!

7. Awesome guys!! Elricks shop is in chicago. I think it would be great to get a tour of that place. Especailly for those like me who want get into making thier own basses. Lakland is in chicago to as well. Anyone else have some suggestions? Maybe I can get a hold of the guy(s) who set up NYC gtg. Looks like they had a nice clinic.

8. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    Subscribing to the thread - keep me posted

9. the lakland shop is in chicago too isn't it?

10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    JiveJong: GTG Whore! :)

11. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

We should definitely get a tour of Lakland!

12. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I would be up for it. A Chicago gtg seems to come up every now and again, but we never get off our butts and actually do it. :D

13. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I'd be up for it. I'm in the South Loop/Grant Park area.

Depending on number of people, size, etc. There's a chance [after i find out some info] that we could have it held in a room at my school [Roosevelt University-more specifically the music conservatory]. I'm not sure if they'd let me bring in a bunch of people that don't go to school there for a get together though.

I'm going back to Indiana to see a few marching band contests in October-but depending on weekend, i might be able to make it still.

That's all

14. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Well for the DC area GTG we had it at Philbiker's house and it worked out real well. I believe the NYC guys rented out a space for their GTGs. Sunday tends to be a better day since gigs don't get in the way. On the flipside, if people want to plan a factory visit, a weekend might be out of the question.

And of course it's football season, and personally, if I can find a cheap ticket for the Bears-Viking game I will be at Soldier Field on Sunday.

Even if I can't make it, here's some ideas
    - Somewhere on the North side would be cool so that after the GTG, we could still hit the clubs and catch a show afterwards. The downside to that might be parking. Finding a parking space and lugging your gear from it will take away some of the fun.

- Does anyone here have a good working relationship with a bar or club so that it can be rented/borrowed for the day? A music store would work too.

- If someone can host, that would be nice too. We donated some $$ to Phil to cover expenses like electricity, etc.

- If the weather is nice, we can get a picnic shelter in one of the forest preserves that has electricity.

Since I do biz with Lakland and Elrick, I'll talk to them and see what the feasability of a factory tour would be. I plan on visiting them anyway when I go to the Chi in October.

15. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Cool, I'm crashing at your place. I can party all night downtown on Saturday, and then stumble to Soldier Field on Sunday morning. If you get tired of me, I'll just find a crumpled up Tribune and take a nap at the park with the other bums ;)

16. Ok guys this is great. IM getting responses!! Let me get some ideas together. IT would be great if we could get a pro to come in and give a clinical. Im willing to take the responisibilty on getting this together. I want to see this happen. We need to get a GTG here. It would be wierd if Chi Town didn't have one. Ill get back to ya guys later. I'm off to the guitar shop to "look around".

17. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    Says something that the guy driving the Chicago GTG is in Rockford. Go get em, tiger! :D

I'm willing to bring basses, Schroeders, Read Purity, assorted finger sandwiches, etc. Let me know.

18. Haha well a Rockford GTG would be great. But Chicago works better. Plus people know were Chicago is. I just love Chicago so much. So many memories. A bass one would be great!!!

19. I might be able to make it. post some possible dates. I am in Iowa but it's only a 3 hr drive. If we can get a tour of Elricks shop I'm in for sure. I have 2 of his basses and want more!

20. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Would you really want to stay in University Center? :smug: