Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

It's Official--Fender bought SWR

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassmonkeee, Jun 3, 2003.

1. WASHBURNGUY

WASHBURNGUY

Dec 28, 2002
    More corporate BS that just gets handed down to the consummer..
    notice the keywords in that article
    dedicated to DEVELOPE er (buy out)
    NEW bass technology..TO be UNDER (the corporate swine)

2. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I hope SWR quality doesn't go downhill. If so I guess everyone will be looking for pre-Fender SWRs.

3. bbob24

bbob24

May 23, 2002
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Could this make my Black Beauty a collectors item?

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Is the irony of this post coming from "WASHBURN"GUY too sweet or what?

;)

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Kinda like when US Music Co (Washburn) bought out Eden. :D

Edit: D'oh! Brad--ya beat me to it!

At least Fender hasn't yet been fined millions of dollars for trying to pass off imports as US made....

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

:bawl: :crying: :help:

brad cook

8. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    wooohooo value of my 400s just went up!;)

9. Who was it that did that?

oh, and why is this a bad thing?

10. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Washburn was getting product from Korea, and then removing the Made in Korea stickers, and replacing them with Made in the USA.

Why is fraud a bad thing? I'll let you figure this one out on your own...

11. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    there is another thread on this called "Fender = SWR". I like it better than this one. Because I posted in it without seeing this one first.

12. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hm, that fits with their history of plagiarism (Marleaux/Human Base).

13. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Shouldn't come to any surprise to anyone, since SWR's recent innovations were for entry-level, budget amps like the LA series and the Workingman's series. I'm sure they make more $$$ moving those models than their high-end offerings.

Its just like the local music stores. They make more money moving the cheap Peaveys and Fenders, but an Alembic might sit on the wall for years.

14. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    an interesting side consideration - do you think this makes it easier or harder to get an SWR endorsement deal. fender has a TON of endorsers, which i guess they can afford to do (plus tons of people play fenders), but SWR didn't exactly have a select few either. but now being part of a big corporation maybe they'll be stingier about giving discounts on really high end stuff.

i'm not sure how i feel about the buyout, but it doesn't really affect me even though i proudly rock SWR stuff. i'm not going to need to buy any new gear for a LONG time.

15. I'm passing this along from Kelly at SWR -

Although everyone will have their opinion, it isn't as melodramatic as you are making it sound. For most of us at SWR, it is not a sad day at all. We consider this a new beginning, a chance to improve all aspects of SWR. Everyone here is excited to have joined forces with a true industry giant. The move is expected to reinforce the quality for which SWR is known and improve the availability of SWR products all over the world. Extended research and development budgets will allow us to continue with the innovative design concepts that have made SWR the leader in bass and acoustic amplification. Key members of the SWR staff will remain in place, including SWR founder Steve Rabe as primary consultant. We are still just as dedicated to building the Finest Bass Amplification Systems in The World as we ever have been. With the power of FMIC behind us, I think you will only see improvement in all things SWR.

Best regards,
    Kelly/SWR

16. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Lets just hope SWR doesn't go the same way as the other Bass amp institution, Trace Elliot, after Gibson bought them out.

17. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Fender's track record is a lot better than Gibson when it comes to buying out other companies. Guild still makes high quality guitars, Jackson is on the same level as it was before. I'm not too familiar with the Sunn stuff, but it seems this is the one place Fender has dropped the ball a bit.

As for Gibson--well, their track record speaks for itself: Steinberger, Tobias, Trace Elliot....

18. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    That's great. Thanks for sharing....

BTW--my thread was here first. :spit:

19. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    i'm an SWR fan, but i find their products far from perfect, so maybe they'll fix the things I don't like.

by the way, Rik's music stopped carrying SWR cabs because they usually showed up damaged due to poor packing. this is a pretty silly problem that a big corporate company would probably immediately address.

maybe they can also fix the bug that causes the alarming *pop* in their amps. i don't care what they say, it doesn't make the product better.