1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Its official I dont own a bass anymore :(

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ibanezcollector, Sep 18, 2008.

1. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    well I sold all my basses to help fund some more towards my company and to pay off some debt.

I have a Valenti thats being finished up in the next few weeks.. Can I make it LOL..

Can I go a few weeks with out a bass?

Thank goodness I dont gig, just your average enthusiast that loves to play.

Oh the horror of the next few weeks.. Maybe I will appreciate the ability to play when I get the new Valenti that much more..

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Wow, Brett. That is brave, but you have one heck-ov-a bass on the way, no?

3. ummm

give Lola extra love those weeks. She'll be sad that you're not making music

4. magickbass

magickbass Guest

May 24, 2008
    A few weeks without a bass? You are more man than I.

5. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    Oooooohhhhhh Noooooooo!

6. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    You won't make it. Cut off those fingers so you can stop worrying about it. :meh:

7. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    What! You sold the Skittles! WHAT! You had the best bass collection on TB!

Stay out of the mafia, you wont owe any debt.

Or join the mafia to take care of your debt.

Hm...

8. tapp01

tapp01

Apr 10, 2008
    Wilmington, NC
    Absence makes the heart grow fonder.:)

But Seriously, take time to focus on you and your business and whatever else you think is important. When your new and (most likely) absolutely perfect bass arrives, play the snot out of it. There have been times in my life when I go without playing for a while, and when I come back I realize I didn't lose any chops and that my playing actually impoves! This is a personal thing and probably unexplainable, but that is my perception none the less. Be strong and hold out. Just keep your eyes on the prize. In this case, the prize is a one of a kind bass made to your specs. Good Luck!

9. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Brett,

You b@$tard!;):D Now you are making me feel bad about buying your seafoam green Vintaged Jazz from you last night.:bawl:;) I didn't know it was your last bass.:meh:

Ship it in a couple of weeks if you need a bass until you get yours from Nino. I am dying to try our my new bass, but would be willing to wait if you need something to play as I have more than a few goods basses I can play in the meantime.

PM me if you want to discuss.....

B.

10. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    Thanks Brent, but its ok.. I will survive.. Just feels funny not to have one thats all..

I am just going to hound Nino hahaha.. Just Kidding Nino...

Ok since this would be on topic..

Whats the longest anyone has went with out a bass?

11. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Fine! :)

P.S. Do you want to borrow my mandolin then? Give you something different to do while you Jones for a bass!:p:D

12. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    I was without a bass for the first 45 years of my life. Now, I can't imagine being without one. I'm quite sure I could live without all 8 that I have now, though! ;)

You are one brave guy! :)

13. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida

I went for a while early on; maybe 3-4 months or so. I originally was a rhythm guitarist in my band and switched to bass after 8 month, and really preferred bass, but after about a year the band broke up. All I had was a Hondo P-bass with a Fender neck on it, so I didn't really think much of it and traded it for a Fender 75 guitar amp and pulled my Strat out from under the bed and played that for a while until the guys in the band wanted to get back together. Then I got a Fender Precision to play, and haven't been w/o a bass since. Funny thing is I kept my bass amp during that time; it may be that I put the P-bass on lay-away expecting the band to get back together or something; hell, it was 23 years ago, so don't expect me to remember it perfectly.

14. a_ribbon

a_ribbon

Apr 10, 2008
    5 long years. :(

reason? i dated the wrong person..

15. Nagan60

Nagan60

Jan 15, 2005
    Roanoke, VA
    I've only experienced this one time in my life....well maybe two.....I must say this is one of the worst experiences ever!!! I think if I didn't own a bass right now.....I would crawl under a rock and die!!!

16. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    you should start a club!!
    :help:

17. I've been without a bass or a guitar for a month and a half, but that was so I could pay rent. :/

18. I got my first bass the summer of my 7th grade year, I think I was somewhere around 11 or 12. I'm 29 now and I haven't spent a single day without owning at least one bass since then. To be fair I went to school for bass and I now play for a living so being bassless would equal being unemployed;) It must be hard to be Bass free.

19. shamrock&roll

shamrock&roll

Feb 14, 2007
    California
    I just shipped out my bass today and once again, I'm without a bass. I didn't realize until I was recording tonight, reached for my bass and the case wasn't there...no recording bass tonight. :meh: I sold it for a good cause though. Now off to sell the car...

20. I went 3 years without a bass after I sold the P-Bass Lyte my Grandmother had bought for me at 15. Was 27 at the time and just about married. Hadn't been in a band for a bit and we needed livingroom furniture so I sold all of my gear. Started buying again on my first Father's Day in 2003. Last Friday completed the cycle by acquiring a P-Lyte identical to the one I sold 8 years ago. I feel better now, though the wife feels five basses are too many (better ship the sixer to a friend's house!)