Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Its Official... I'm a Sadowsky Freak...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Nov 3, 2003.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Yes yes, y'all...

added yet another gorgeous Sadowsky to my arsenal, and got delivery of my new Vintage 5'er from Roger & co. and big ups to Frank for his patience and staying late, so i could pick it up.

[​IMG]

needless to say, its one of the few basses that have superceded my expectations. very lightweight, balanced, the '59 burst looks golden, the bass plays like butter, and check out the spider like figuring in the headstock.

also, diggin' the new Sadowsky nickel strings. was never a fan of the very bright sounding sadowsky steel strings, but after being a long time Labella Slappers user, these nickels could well be my new nickel string of choice. superb feel, and great, outta-the-box, tonal balance of smooth warmth and clarity. highly recommended.

anywho, used the V5 at this weekend's gig, and the tones were good. too good. waay too good for me. but do i care? heck, no!

[​IMG]

funny story, but my Clarus started to go up in smoke during our quick soundcheck. literally started smoking from within the housing! that's what you get for using the house, "i'm beat to crap, so dont bother to be gentle" SWR cab.

so, i went right into the house DI. and wow... really wow... (bows head in reverance) i'm honestly considering of just going direct at all my club gigs now. no joke. i'm serious. that's right you "amp lounge" foos! the farting monitor in front of me was annoying, but a small price to pay. soundguy even came up to me and asked, "***?" hehe...

[​IMG]

but, come out to one of our next gigs, and you'd be a believer, too. ;)

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    That sir is one of the finest looking five string jazz basses Ive ever seen.

Peace
    Nick

3. You. Layed. It. On. The. Floor! [​IMG]

Impressive bass!

4. WOW, I'm in actual shock over here. :eek:

I can only imagine that it sounds as good as it looks!

I have a major case og GAS now. :(

[​IMG]
    Treena

5. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    ME TOO :

I have 3 of them and now the 4th is on the way;)

6. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Beats. Banging. Headstock. On. The. Wall. Which I do on a regular basis. :meh:

Congrats on the new bass! I was using Slappers too for a while, but found I like the Will Lee's better. I prefer steel (once they die), but maybe I'll give Sadowsky nickels a try. :)

7. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Hey Joker, me too! I really like the tortoise pickguard... here's mine with the vintage mint thing:

[​IMG]

and coming soon (friday) after your glowing review of yours:

[​IMG]

:eek:

8. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI!

Congrats on your new axe. I have 2 Sad's with one on order. I go direct 90% of the time with my band. We use in-ears and it's great not carting a big amp around!! The preamp rules on the Sadowsky's and I keep one of his DI/pre's in my bag just in case!!

Rob

9. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Hey Rob

Are you able to run in-ears when the soundman isn't your hire? or when the gear is not yours?

how does that work?

Todd

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea, i was going for a different look, and like
    how the tortoise came out. the guys at the shop
    looked for just the right pickguard to mate it
    up with. looks perfect. but i'm actually
    curious as to how an anodized gold pickguard
    would look. dont mind the mint green, but
    always lookin' for something different yet cool.

oh, and unless you're curious, you might wanna
    hold off on the P. only cause, i'm having the P
    pickup in my PJ-5 "flipped" ala Rocco Prestia's
    new Conklin setup. was curious as to how it'd
    sound. i'll post up my findings when i get it
    back Wednesday.

oh, and thx again for the comments guys!

11. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

That's the time when I use my amp! We have a great system we use 90% of the time which includes a digital board that stores presets. It allows us to set up and get a good mix in minutes, then we tweak from there according to the room. I use a Shure 600 in ear system. I run the Sadowsky through a couple EBS effects, including a multicomp, into our board. The signal goes through the mains and the subs. Sounds awesome. I usually use the DI/pre pedal Roger makes. It has a mute switch and tuner out. It use it as a DI and use the pre in the bass. I used to use the pre section but all my basses are Sadowsky's or have Roger's pre onboard.

I'm looking forward to my blue vintage 5 which is in production at the moment. I'll post pics when it arrives:D

Rob

12. Van the Man, you got that white one right out from under me. I got quoted and found out someone had a deposit on it last week (fargan Bastiges). You lucky man. Well check out my post asking for Sadowsky pictures and see what I came up with on Photo Shop. It's a Flame maple top with a Carmel Burst paint job, B/W/B pickguard and either a redish Morado or Brazilian Rose wood boad on a PJ/4 vintage. Congrats dude.

Joker, nice bass, congradulation again and again and again....

13. Here is the pic, tell what you think guys/gals.
    thanks

14. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    That's twice you can in & missed me. I think you're doin' it on purpose. ;)

And, no, I didn't play it :(

15. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Big - sorry for snatchin it under your nose! i'll play her good for you :)

and i dig that flame/morado chop - very warm and organic looking. tasteful too... which is sadly not that common!

16. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    hI!

V, you're gonna love the pj setup. I've had 9 Sadowsky's and all were jj until I got a used pj about 6 months ago. It's my favorite 4 string I've owned. Not only does it play great but the added P pickup gives a great low thump and makes the bass ever more versatile than a jj Sadowsky. I love the thick tone I get from a J bass neck and body!! Best of luck. I love O.white jazzes!!

Rob

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    lol,

but i'm coming back later this week to pick up my PJ. hopefully, we'll run into each other!

i was actually hoping to make your gig tonight, and finally meet you in person, but i've got rehearsals for a praise/worship conference. but good luck!