It's official, I'm a wood-a-holic

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Dirk Diggler, Jul 28, 2005.

1. So I'm sitting in Grand Jury duty today, and to take my mind off the heinous mess, I start looking at the woods in the room. And I'm thinking to myself how cool the wood looks around the door frame, could it be, yes it looks like Wenge or at least some very similar looking wood. Wonderful grain and nice and thick, yeah I could get a couple necks out of those side pieces. I woke up from my wooden fog in time to realize I may have a problem. :)
    I just figured I would share.
    And I noticed my last sentence scares me even more, such a short sentence with the words "figured" and "would". :) Yep sounds like an obesession.
  2. Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    I'm the exact same way, except too young to serve jury duty. What's the case, by the way?
  3. ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004

I think someone should either build a bass, or pay attention to the case. :D
  4. Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    You'll be in that court again, but next time you'll be the defendant for stealing the wood off the court doorframes to make a bass.
  5. I'm like that too but there's a time for that later...

I can talk about it now though! :D I occasionally get to do an installation for my company - usually because it's a special deal and needs my attention. This has put me in some wood heaven a couple of times. Once was one of the IBM buildings with 25' floor to ceiling flame and ribboned mahogany/sapele/avoidere? in veneer and slabs all over the place - floor after floor. Fortunately my partner on the project was an old frontman of 19 years and understood guitars! Then there was a gym floor in an exclusive Catholic school. It was 4" x 36" maple planks but every 3rd one by my guess was some incredible flame/fiddleback/curl/quilt. And since it was finished under a nice glossy poly it looked like a million bucks. During breaks, I was just wandering around this huge gym staring at the floor going "Oh my :scowl:" and resisting the temptation to take the sawzall and selectively remove a fretboard or two. Maybe just around the edges and they wouldn't miss it?
  6. Careful now, Dirk! That may be secret info! Fed. R. Crim. P. 6(e).
  7. Zetora

Aug 16, 2004
    Not even made a bass, just been doing research into it and already I'm looking at wood differently, lol, its liyke I'm sizing it up, mentaly making a bass from different woods in a room.

Ok enough of that, someone will think I'm crazy.

8. Yes indeed thanks Captain Victory, I took my oath and will abide by it. But it has nothing to do with wood. :)
    And no I won't disclose anything other than my wood lust Cerb. ;)
  9. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Oh for sure, I've been scoping flames, grains, knots, even rings for years now. It's wood wood and it's o.k., just go with it!!
  10. LOL,
    thanks lowphatbass, I feel better now. ;)
  11. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
  12. Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
  13. Zetora

Aug 16, 2004
    What a set of basses that would make, a nice lil guitar too...

dam I would have fun with that if it was mine :rolleyes:

14. Shoot yeah! Here's how it would go down at my house...

"Honey, you can have the chairs and here's a grand to go buy a new table to match but that one there's MINE!"

15. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Just yesterday I was looking over my teak snack tables, to see if there was a large enough piece in there somewhere.
  16. I've always loved the figured woods, esp walnut (mmmm...) but i've found i'm falling for standards like swamp ash all over again... I just love wood. Even in something like ash, just looking at the grain on a nice bass, why would anyone ever paint a bass? :)