Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Its Official... I'm an "EA" Freak. Are You?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Aug 18, 2005.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    ... nevermind i somehow got my name is on the player's page. no need to mention how much i love my iAMP-800. and yes, i've always been a sucker for red on black motif's.

yet, no idea why i didnt do it before, and why i needed prodding, but thx to our good TB forumite "Jive1", who just happened to open a new boutique bass shop, Jive Sound, i will soon be the proud owner of a bouncing 44 lbs. NL210 4 ohm cab. :cool:

sure, i've loooooooooong been an Epifani nut, and i'll never part with my complete collection of Acme cabs, but my eye has long been on EA waiting for that perfect cab to go along with my beloved iAMP head. and while it does sound great with my current cabs, my curiousity draws me in, wondering what incredible mojo is there to be unlocked by going with an all EA setup.

dont get me wrong, i did try their 12" offerings, and while very cool, i'm still a 10" speaker guy at heart. i need... no... i crave that punchy authority. course, only a matter of time before i start making excuses for that NM-410. ;)

should be here in a few weeks, and of course, expect that joker-freakin'-tastic review to follow...

in the meantime, lets post up some EA spiced rigs, shall we? :p

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes.....but I'm an 8" speaker kind of guy! ;)

3. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    Has anyone tried the NM410?

4. Those 410's seem to have not caught on. However, if any of you EA guys are interested, there's a 410 that has been on the specials page at Bass Northwest for a very reduced price forever. I have a feeling they would come down even more if someone made them an offer.

I find that cab kind of strange in that it's a 1000 watt cab and their iAmp800 puts out 800 watts into 4ohms... but the cab is only available in an 8ohm version :confused:

PS I found the iAmp to sound very, very good combined with the EA cabs (in my cas the old CXL210.. I think that was the model number... it was the coax 2 way 210... weighed a ton but sounded great!).

5. The NM410 sounds great and weighs practically nothing.

6. Low Class

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    I used a pair of the 208's for a while. Great cabs for upright, but I didn't care for them for electric.

7. Low Class

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    Are you using the NM410?

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I don't know whether it was originally intended - as I have seen EA advertised in BG shops and endorsed by BG players - but they have done a great service for upright bass players!! :)

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    It's a given that I've got to jump in on any "EA-spiced" thread! :D

Well, after re-acquiring "my" CX-310, I am now back to owning at least one of every EA cab, except for the NM-410. When I decided to look for a new rig to replace my Mesa Boogie 4x10 and Eden 212XLT, I decided that I would rule out 4x10's, because I was dinging up the doors, door jams, walls (and of course my hands!), etc. trying to carry a 4x10 to and from my basement music room. And yes, even though I own cabs as large as a El Whappo, I still find it easier to negotiate through doorways than a 4x10. Still, I'd really love to hear an NM-410 one of these days! I am sure that it is a kicking cab (though I agree that it would make sense to offer it in a 4 ohm configuration).

Joker, I think that you are going to be very happy with the NL-210! A 4 ohm version with the iAMP 800 is going to make for a might mini rig indeed! :bassist:

As a newly official "EA Freak", or as I like to call it, frEAk, have you ordered your hat from Mike yet? ;) They are red on black! :p

Oh, and what "EA-spiced" thread would be complete without this pic? It's back when I had only six EA cabs! :D

[​IMG]

I still need to do my "extended family", or "EA Museum" shot, but I need to rest up for it. I actually did drag all my EA cabs outside on a nice sunny day (did I mention hot and humid?), lined them up all purdy, and only THEN did I realize that my wife had taken the digital camera with her to Cleveland! :spit:

Let us know how things work out with your new rig. I'll have to check out Jive1's shop. Very cool!

Later, Tom.

10. Still, I'd really love to hear an NM-410 one of these days!

You need a EA NM-410 and a Epifani 4x10UL to your pretty amazing collection :bassist:

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Yes, the T-410UL is another one I need to check out!

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    awww,

ya gotta give us more info than that, FC! descriptions! impressions!

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    the bass "borg" has struck again!

14. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I know Todd VanSelus has/had one, I know he didn't like it as much as the NL-210 but I forget the exact details - decent amount of beer was consumed at the time :)

15. What's amazing is that even though the NM is light and powerful for its size.... the EpifaniUL is almost 20 pounds lighter!!!!... and it comes in a 4ohm version, since you only need one to knock a house down Amazing :hyper:

16. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Cxl-112 and nl-210 stack here. Normally powered with a iamp 800, but I'm waiting on getting it back from Gary right now. Making do with either a rather unwieldy SABDDI/Fishman Pro Platinum EQ/Mackie 1202 mixer/Macrotech 2402 setup. I can't wait to get the iamp back. I am so sick of moving all of this stuff!!!!

17. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    from the EA site blurb , but it doesnt state the weight.

"The EA NM-410 represents the state of the art in speaker cabinet design. The design goal of the NM-410 was to create a high power 4x10 cabinet that was loud, light weight, and provided a truly focused sound throughout the listening environment. More drivers mean more volume. More drivers also mean more interference between those drivers. This compromise, between volume and focus was, until now, a reality of playing 4x10 cabinets. The NM-410 changes all of that.

The NM-410’s side vented, “M” shaped Transmission Line, proprietary Neodymium drivers, and innovative design have created a cabinet that is both extremely loud and presents a totally focused sound at any point in the listening environment. The imported Poplar plywood and Neodymium speakers keep this, the ultimate 4x10, at a reasonable 76 pounds. With all of the cutting edge design, technology and features such as its built in wheels, the NM-410 is truly the envy of the class.

More Volume, Massive Tone, Less Weight! "

18. I don't know your point here... but the weight is in your post... 76 pounds! :)

19. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Don't you love it when someone cares enough to quote what you wrote. :D

Like any wood product the weight can vary up to 10% (ever see 9 lb and a 12lbP Bass). Same with a cabinet. So whatever sample they had, they weighed. Some might be lighter/heavier but 76lbs is just an estimate. My Cxl-112 and my NL-210 are both supposed to weigh 43 lbs but the 210 is deecidely lighter. Some of the added weight of the EA comes from three layers of epoxy resin and a single layer of polyurethane. It's heavier and more costly than some of the other coating materials but well worth it. BTW, the NM-410 comes with built in wheels (roller blade type) and a removable extension handle like on the iamp 800 combo.

Mike

20. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    check out my new avatar