1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Its official I've been Screwed...by "so called" Tech

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bassman8416, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Bassman8416

Bassman8416 Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Hey everybody....I purchased a set of Bartolini's to replace the funky stock Carvins in my LB75 Bass
    I got the 59s72L1-LN1 Pick up set plus the Aguilar OP Preamp. Purchased from Brian at BBG
    I had someone a "Local Music Store" in Melville, New York install them because they were highly recommended and they said they could do it no problem. There was an 8 day turn around, which is normal, depending on who you use......I pick my Bass up head right to rehearsal, plug it in and nothing but buzzing and ground problems....in and out...on and off....crap....so I take it home, they were closed, 45 miles away, and its ok, yet something doesn't seem 100%...a little noise here and there....I call the so called tech, he says its just the grounding in the house where I rehearsed and no worries.....2 days later I take it to a lesson where I pay a really cool old Jazz cat 40 bucks an hour, it starts crapping out again....I struggle through the lesson, I immediately take it to the Store....the tech won't be in till the next day. He calls me says , pick up the bass its fine. I play it in the store , everything is cool, he says it was the input where the chord goes in......I go all the way home and guess what its still ****ed up. I call the guy...I am fuming by now....he says it must be what I thought it was....a bad pre amp...bring it in and I'll have the Amp guy check it out, The AMP GUY?....your supposed to figure this out.......I will never let these people set eyes on this bass again unless we are in court....$120.00 to install this...plus they charge 60 bucks for a set up and 31 bucks for the strings. No apologies for my time running around....never mind I am screwed all weekend for 3 gigs...I have to borrow a Squire Jazz. I am calling Brian tomorrow in hopes he can recommend a tech in New York for me to bring it too to see what the hell is going on. Anyone ever hear of a brand new Aguilar pre-amp being a lemon?
    :mad:

2. edwinhurwitz

edwinhurwitz Supporting Member

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, SMS
    In a situation like this, I would find out how to do it yourself, rip everything out and then start from scratch reinstalling everything. It should be a very simple task. If I lived near you, I would have done the install for half what you paid. It ain't rocket surgery!

Edwin

3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    sounds more like a grounding issue and / or maybe a bad jack. Can you check to see if the tip of the jack is grounding against something when a jack is inserted ?

This really isn't a difficult job, frankly I can't imaine paying someone to do it ...

4. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    This was my response to your post in the thread about Best Bass Gear:

I'm thinking you can also call Brian, he might have a solution. Don't feel bad, I can't solder worth beans, so rather than damage my instrument, I took it to a shop to have it done. After this ordeal, I've been meaning to have a friend teach me how to solder correctly so I can do it myself in the future.

5. Bassman8416

Oct 18, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Yeah....this guitar tech made it sound like rocket science....should have....would have could have.....

6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Trust me ... if I can do this - you can do this ... Hi thee down to Rat Shack, get soldering kit and learn ... It's just silly to pay folks to do this ...

7. Bassman8416

Oct 18, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    you are correct sir...and that was a decent chunk of change......$120.00 sounds like I got a lot am I correct in that assumption? He supposedly had to look at his bosses bass to see how it was wired as opposed to reading the wiring schematic sent with the pick ups and pre amp. It just seems like I could done as good a job or better for this sort of result.:confused:

8. fireincairo

fireincairo

Jul 8, 2008
    I won't let guitar shops touch my guitars unless I know the tech and I know he has a great reputation.

I would invest in a soldering iron and start doing these kinds of things yourself. It's not that hard and in the long run it will save you a ton of cash. Even truss rod adjustments aren't hard. Do some research, this stuff is easy with the internet nowadays.

9. fireincairo

fireincairo

Jul 8, 2008
    Those guys are the worst. It's like they'll tell you anything to keep you in the dark. None of this stuff is rocket science, and most all of it can be handled by the average Joe.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021