Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

It's official - no hardwood Walkabouts.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    So my guys at Boogie got back to me about my bubinga Walkabout Scout - it's a no go. The cab is just too big; it's 17", and the widest planks Boogie gets are 13". Pooey. I was really looking forward to getting that Warwick like tone out of my little combo.

So they are hooking me up with a different custom one instead. It will have a black croco embossed leather finish, with a wicker grille. It will sort of look like this:

[​IMG]

except the outside will look like this:

[​IMG]

I will post pics as soon as I get it (which could be a good while).

Apologies go to Joe Nerve in advance. :bag:

2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    That sucks. I know you were looking forward to that Bubinga cab. Any reason for the black gator? I've always liked the burgundy with the cane grille.

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Heck, I told you that over two months ago. :smug:

It does suck. I wanted one, too.

4. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Yes, but you didn't give me a reason. ;)

I wanted to hear it from the horses mouth.

I just thought the black gator with the cane grille looks classy. I'll probably have my wedges done up in something a little more colorful. Boogie will be making a purpleheart casing for my Buster! head sometime soon. Heehee!

5. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    Just a suggestion. Why don't you get the wood yourself and send it to them. I'm sure you could get a large enough piece from gallery hardwoods or something. If they're otherwise willing to accomadate you shouldn't let their wood stock (or lack) stop you.

6. marklinca

marklinca

Nov 11, 2003
    So Cal
    The Red Croc with black grille floats my boat. Wine Lizard with tan also looks great (there is a Scout version in the M-B gallery). Of course, purple suede with gold or tan grille would be true to my alma mater. I really like the leather corners and matching handle on the Scouts.

7. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    Why on earth would you want a cab made of Bubinga? I assume it would weight a ton.

And why not just glue two pieces of bubinga together to make a wider plank?

8. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Why on earth would you want a bass made out of bubinga? Because it would sound good! :ninja:

9. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    I don't think it would really affect the tone... woods on your bass ok but on the cabs.... :meh: :confused: it's just gonna cost more that's all

10. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Umm... ok... sure. :meh: Of course it would make it sound better. They don't make basses out of plywood for a reason, right? Your amp is just as much a part of the tone making process as your bass, so I don't see how you think it makes a difference on the bass, but not on the cabs.

Trust me, I've heard hardwood cabs before. They do sound different (and better), than the standard plywood cabs.

11. no4mk1

no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Ummm... I'll assume for a moment that you are right and hardwood cabs DO sound better than standard ply cabs. Is the difference in tone REALLY worth the weight difference? :meh:

If this is a dedicated studio cab, then maybe, but a gigging rig? I just don't see the point. I'd rather spend the money on a better speaker.

I bet it would look incredible though... ;)

Cheers,
    Chris

12. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Well, it's a small combo, and the weight difference would be negligible. I don't think that solid bubinga compared to 7 ply birch would weigh considerably more, if at all. People play bubinga basses all the time and don't complain about the weight much, and that's something that you wear all the time. An amp you move, put it down, and that's it. I wonder why there seems to be such a resistance to the idea of a hardwood amp, yet people talk about woods on a bass all the time.

Boogie can't really build it anyway, so I guess the point is moot. :meh:

13. no4mk1

no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I guess it's just conventional wisdom that cabinets have a much harder life than basses generally. I would be paranoid to bring an exotic hardwood cabinet to the... Ummm... "Bars with Character" that I usually play.

Like I said, in a studio setting, if it helps the sound, go for it.

Cheers,
    Chris

14. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    So why not just build your own cabinet out of whatever wood you want?

15. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Because I suck at woodworking, that's why. :p

16. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Well, it's probably not a complicated box. You could probably find someone to build it for you. However, I don't know that you'll get the results you expect from building a speaker cabinet out of hardwoods.

I spend a lot of time on a discussion forum for stereo enthusiasts, and this topic has come up numerous times. The reason speaker cabinets are built out of plywood or MDF are because these types of wood don't have a strong resonant character. In a speaker cabinet, you want to hear the speaker, not the box.

You'll notice that most bass guitars are built from a few choice woods, such as alder, ash and mahagony, and that hardwoods are generally used only as top plates for some added tonal diversity. If you build a large hollow box out of hardwood, it will have a strong resonant character (that may not be pleasant). Also, not only will it be expensive, but it will be prone to warping or splitting from variations in temperature and humidity.

It might be an interesting experiment, but I think if hardwood cabinets were really worthwhile, someone would have started selling them a long time ago.

JD

17. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Well, Boogie has been doing it for close to 30 years, but never for bass amps, probably due to size. True, it will definitely change the tonal character of the amp, but I imagine if you use a good tonewood it wouldn't be a mistake.

Wouldn't a hardwood cab such as bubinga have a higher resonant frequency than plywood, and in effect give a better tone, or is plywood denser than bubinga. Not sure about that one, but if it were, then wouldn't they make basses out of plywood too?

18. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    ...wonders what a bass cab made out of rockwood (phenowood, diamondwood, et al.) would sound like...

I know one thing, it would be heeeeaavy!

19. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    Plywood with 9-13 laminates and all the glue between laminates has much higher resonance. Many cabs have heavy internal braces and damping to eliminate _all_ resonances.

If you make a hardwood cab without bracing and damping, it will resonate at some frequency. So it will definately color the sound, but whether this coloring sounds pleasing is up to you. I have never heard a hardwood cab so I don't really know ;)