It's official, no more Reverend basses...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chef, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    If you really care to the point of buying one, I'd encourage you to call or write them.
    Here's what they answered. Better buy 'em now if you want one...

Yes, it is true. We have not made a formal announcement yet. We may stop
    taking bass orders sometime within 8 weeks.

We do not sell enough basses to justify continued production, purchasing of parts and advertising. We prefer to relocate those resources towards guitar and amplifier promotion and production.

Joe Naylor

Reverend Musical Instruments
    27300 Gloede, Unit D
    Warren, Michigan 48088
  2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Wow... that sucks...
    If anyone want one, get them while you can!
  3. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Sorry to hear about this. I only recently finally tried one and I like the hell out of them.
  4. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    :eek: :bawl: Thats a real shame--glad I've already got a 4 and a 5. I think selling direct only has hurt them, because if you try one you buy one.
  5. :(
    Well.. at least he said they may stop taking orders. There's a sliver of hope. It's too bad, because they're great basses. Best playability and tone I've come across. I'm glad I have two of the real early ones, but I was still hoping to get a P/J and see if they'd make a Brad Houser 4-string. Darn.
  6. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I am stunned.

These are/were fabulous basses at a great price point. Glad I got my Brad Houser 5er .... might have to consider replacing my 5L, recently sold. Dammit!
  7. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I never got to try out a Brad Houser. Damn.
  8. bovinehost, how much different is the brad houser form the 5L in terms of playability and also sound (versitility, etc.)?

I may have to order a 5'er to go with my 4 string fish' before they stop taking orders.

This is really a bummer since they had a great and unforunately little known and underrated product.
  9. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I was hoping for a Brad Houser 4 too. They sound incredible accept I really don't have a use for a 5-string bass.
  10. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Almost a completely different bass.

The neck is very different. The 5L has a sorta Jazz feel to it, very slim and accessible. The Houser goes for a more Lakland neck design - flatter and wider, although still very ergonomic. First time I picked it up, I was surprised, but like all good designs, you get used to it and it now seems like no big deal at all.

Kind of a bigger sound to the Houser, although the 5L certainly doesn't skimp on tone. The Houser uses two sets of stacked single coils; it's so hot that I at first thought it was active, but hey, no battery.

You get a few more switches on the Houser, so I guess you have a few more tonal options, although I usually just find one good sound and then forget about the switches.