1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

It's over Johnny... It's OVER!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Haysoochreesto, Mar 24, 2010.

1. The band is breaking up. After a year and a half, and after hitting a new plateau in our sound, the thing's done. Basically one guy chased off another singer and me and the guitarist have decided to go with the singer. We already have another band 80% formed with three different drummers who want to play with us. So I guess the thing is 90%+ formed already with the missing piece already existing, we just don't know exactly which piece it's going to be.

But still, it sucks. We actually had two venues call us to do gigs for them. Our reputation grew quickly and we have somewhat of a following in our area.

Personality conflicts... even when you have 5 dedicated people, a unique sound (well, as unique as you can be with a cover band), places wanting to hire you, and a crowd of people that go to all your shows, it can still fall apart. And it's all over this weird control issue that one guy in the band has.

I'll save the wordiness of an already long post and just say that there's no way to kick this one guy out without splitting the whole thing up. It's non-negotiable and just the way it is. End of story.

This thing used to be a democracy that ran smoothly. Every one of us always came prepared and knew their stuff. Picking out songs was easy: this week it's X's turn to pick two songs that he wants to do; next week it's Y's turn to pick. We'd learn the songs until we had them tight, and then move on. If someone picked something you didn't like, too bad; when it's your turn you can pick two songs you think are cool. And it worked. We had and still have really good musical chemistry.

This is such a case of if it ain't broke, don't fix it. But this one guy raises such hell and his personality is so abrasive at times... there's another guy too who has really pissed me off on a couple of occasions but I can overlook it. To me, that's just been my experience in bands: sometimes you have deal with some unpleasantness for the greater good of the thing.

But my guitar player and the singer refuse to overlook it anymore and so I'm going with them. The new band will be cool; the other guitarist we're bringing in is really good, and more importantly he's a cool, laid back guy that we've all known for years. We'll be up and gigging in two months.

Still...

I guess Rodney King's famous message of unity didn't ring with any of us strongly enough.

2. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I am getting to think that the true art of creating music with other people in an a group aka... band is such a trying thing and is much work to keep afloat and enjoy.

3. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    I have nothing to add on this topic. Just wanted to give you props on the First Blood reference. :D

4. Actually, that was by far the most important thing to me for someone to understand in regards to my long winded crying session. It's all just filler from here on out. Thanks!

5. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL

haha:p

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 27, 2020