1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Its phaser time!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sk8, Mar 10, 2008.

1. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    I've done my searches but not really got the info i wanted.

I've gone phaser - flanger - chorus - flanger/chorus and hgave now decided phasing is where i want to be; i want a phaser again :)

I did i own an EHX small stone but foolishly moved it on thinking a wanted chorus and finally eneded up with a EHX Stereo Electric Mistress which i've now flogged. I've looked around and searched and listened and have eneded up with the following list

Mojo Hand Nebula
    Sub Decay Quasar
    EHX Polyphase
    Red Witch Moon Phaser

The nebula sounds nice and subtle, as though it would sit well in the mix but the others give me twaek ability to get different sounds. I do like the nebulas plug and play ability as sometimes i just can't be bothered to tweak. I would like something different from the small stone this time.

So help, experiences, other options welcome.

Thanks in advance :bassist:

2. be more specific on what you want. more or less tweakability? what kinda phasing sound? what are you going to be using it in (context, band, genre)?

all that will help

i've owned the red witch, EHX polyphase and subdecay quasar. Each has their own different unique vibe going on.

The red witch is the least tweakable of the 3, it's got a great initial sound and you can tailor from there. The Quasar has a bunch of different sounds and is very tweakable, you can really reach a bunch of different tones with it. The Polyphase is what I currently own and has a LOT of tweakable options for it, and it really sounds lush and thick.

3. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the reply

I liked the sound and nebula but i don't want to be stuck with just one range of sounds as there will be no chorus, flanger etc on the board so i want the ability to change the sound. I like simplicity but want to take my sound scuplting further. I'll be using it maininly in a praise band setting to add some colour. I liked the small stone sound especially on low settings but want to be able to build on this.

does this rambling make sense :meh:

4. Liten

Liten

Jan 26, 2007
    Sweden
    Is the EHX Sterio Polyphase good for bass in terms of dynamics?? I tried a new Small Stone and that sucked my tone/the dynamics right out of my amp/cab.. :rollno:

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Just to throw one more into the mix, Pigtronix EP-1. Nice LFO Phaser section, as well as a beautiful Envelope Follower mode, think QTron, but less quacky. Would allow you two very different types of sound in one pedal. Just a thought, I love mine.

6. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    IMHO very few pedals of any type can do more than one thing well. I, too, love plug and play simplicity so, if you like the Nebula, then that should be really tempting. In my experience, the more settings a pedal offers, the easier it is to dial in a horrible sound! If you get one really good, really usable sound out of a pedal, then you're doing well! Are they all priced similar?

7. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I went from a nebula to Quasar because I could get close to the quasar. It's the most versatile phaser I've used but there is something about the simplicity of the Nebula that I love and I do want to pick one up again. But my offer stands on borrowing the quasar if you want to try it.

You can't really go wrong with any of them I really liked the Red Witch it just isn't really suited for bass if you get me, you just listen and kinda think this could just be a bit better. Also very limited on what works on it on bass.

8. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    thanks for the offer tayste, i'll take you up on it in a few weeks.