It's so simple, but it's so vital!! (MXR Micro Amp appreciation thread!)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Wulfensteiner, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Wulfensteiner

Wulfensteiner Inactive

Mar 24, 2018
    Melbourne, Australia
    Does anyone else use this borderline primitive (just one knob!) little gem of a boost pedal in any way?

I LOVE what it does to my mids and hence, its always on at about 8 o'clock. Its essentially a 'tone' pedal for me.

I'd love to hear from other enthusiasts.

Attached Files:

javi_bassist and mattbass6945 like this.
  2. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio
    Hands down the single most useful piece of gear I own.

If it was lost or stolen I'd buy two.

3. Wulfensteiner

Wulfensteiner Inactive

Mar 24, 2018
    Melbourne, Australia
    Totally dude. I realized that this pedal rendered a couple of other pedals (one of them twice the price) absolutely redundant!

4. I used to use mine to drive my SVT input. Good little pedal, but I accidently fried it.
    Now I use a Dazatronyx Germ amp instead. I love it more....

blindrabbit and Wulfensteiner like this.
  5. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    Wellington, NZ
    Powerful little pedal. Wouldn't be without it. Posted this picture in another thread.

BS Sound.jpg

Wulfensteiner and Randy Ward like this.
  6. Jeff Elkins

Jeff Elkins Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2007
    Johnson City, TN
    I don't use any preamps on my board, but this little guy comes in super handy for quick changes between instruments. I play in a theater pit, and depending on the show I might have a passive J or P, a 5 string (active), a fretless (active), or my upright. I use the micro amp to balance volumes or drive the signal harder into an envelope pedal. Clean. Useful. Haven't really explored tonal changes with it yet!

hintz likes this.
  7. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    Not too minimize the microamp pedal but using that many different basses with different output levels, have you thought about trying the source audio programmable eq? You can make 4 different presets for each bass, when I had one I used it for this reason only: to send matched levels to my other pedals such as envelope, compressor, dirt so I get similar sounds from my touch responsive pedals...

Just a suggestion of course :)

Jeff Elkins likes this.
  8. Jeff Elkins

Jeff Elkins Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2007
    Johnson City, TN
    But... but... then what would I do with my Radial I/O pedal, my GEB-7, and the microamp? And what about the gaps it would create on my board?! :sorry:

On a serious note, thanks for the recommendation; when the budget allows, I’m always interested in smart, efficient problem solving.

9. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Could you describe what it does to your mids?

10. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I find it to be a clean signal boost and nothing more
    I don't hear a mid boost or any magic
    Your mileage may very

11. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    Wellington, NZ
    +26dB of clean boost. Helps to create a touch sensitive bass guitar, and a more dynamic instrument. Enables me to play around with hard and soft finger plucking techniques, and can get a lot more attack from finger playing technique, almost the same as a pick, but not quite. Helps to provide a more responsive preamp. Can get a bit more overdrive from the preamp. Got to watch out for feedback though, but I kind of like that sort of thing.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  12. Wulfensteiner

Wulfensteiner Inactive

Mar 24, 2018
    Melbourne, Australia
    I find that this little guy, on the right setting, is kind of like my GK 800RB's little 'helper'. They love each other. Up higher on the board, (I know I shouldn't be messing around up there lol) it adds some serious 'balls' and 'grit'. I can't adequately describe it really. It just makes things 'better'.

13. Wulfensteiner

Wulfensteiner Inactive

Mar 24, 2018
    Melbourne, Australia
    You know what you do? Continue to use them brother! This little guy can be SO many things beyond its meager presentation - it's even capable of outright dirt :]

14. Wulfensteiner

Wulfensteiner Inactive

Mar 24, 2018
    Melbourne, Australia
    I think it may be because, at the end of the day, we're using it differently. I keep it on at all times at a lower setting as part of my 'tone', and the subtle mid shift ain't too subtle to me :] she gives me exactly what I never knew I needed until I got her. Now, I never leave home without her.

15. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    Most of the classic sounds is just a slightly overdriven console or small amp.. you hear a pleasant distortion harmonic content creating the illusion of upper mids..