Its strange that no one talks about Acme anymore.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, May 25, 2002.

1. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Are they not as great as everyone claimed a while back.
    Is it there powerhunger that scares people?
    Im still considering a 410 but Im in Europe so the shipping cost will probably be high.
  2. I think a lot of players are, yes, scared by the notion that a 4x10 needs at least 1000 watts powering it. Unless you're using Stewart or Peavey digital power amps, 1000 watts means a lot of weight.
  3. >1000 watts means a lot of weight.

Yes indeed. I use a Mackie 1400i - heavy, but not overwhelming.
  4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Acme was the "next big thing". While still as good as they were, it's just that several next big things have happened since their introduction.
  5. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    So I Acme was kind of a flavor of the month?
    And now it seems to be Aguilar that is "hot".
    The weight of a poweramp does not scare me. Im still young (23) and I have a nice cart I use.
    Are Acmes suitable for traditional P-bass/flatwound sounds?
    Are they as flat/uncolored as Euphonic Audio?
  6. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
  7. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks Brad Johnson, really informative.:)
  8. Arrrrrgh

May 8, 2002
    Is anyone out there using a Mackie 1400 with two B-2 Acmes ?
    They seem like a good option because of the weight, but everyone always talks about the way they suck up the power.
    Would the one Mackie be enough power ?
    Im in a 4-piece Classic rock band with an old P-bass. I love the sound I get thru A newer Peavey 350 watt 4X10 I have, but its way to heavy to lug around.
    Thanks for any advice
  9. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    In the last few weeks I've seen 3 different players using Acmes in the San Francisco Bay area, and they sounded great in each situation.

At one show I saw 12-string Warr Guitar player Brian Kenney Fresno playing solo in a 2-300 capacity club with a pair of Low B2 2x10's raised up about 4 feet from the stage. He was running both sides of the Warr, his vocal mic, and various samplers/loopers through the Acmes-basically, using them as PA cabs. Sometimes with all that stuff going on I heard a bit of distortion and saw the tweeter protect bulbs lighting up inside the cabs but they still sounded very good, if not tremendously loud.

That night at the same club I saw a band called Sleepytime Gorilla Museum-a truly incredible group that combines sleazy speed-metal riffs with a Tom Waits style "broken/demented" aesthetic. Their percussionist plays on pieces of sheet metal, oil drums, and radiator parts; they have an extremely loud drummer, a noisy guitarist, and a screeching violin player.

Bassist Dan Rathbun plays not only a 5-string StingRay but also a 6 or 8 foot long wooden beam fitted with large piano strings that makes truly enormous sounds. He ran these and other homemade instruments through a pair of Acme Low B-4 4x10's raised about 4' feet off the stage and filled the room with incredibly deep, detailed sound. I was at the front of the stage most of the night so I wasn't hearing much PA sound. Many people have said Acmes don't work for loud, heavy music but they were great in this context.

I also heard a Low B2 powered by a Walter Woods head at a Chapman Stick get together in a friend's living room, and again I was impressed at the low bass extension and fidelity of the Acmes. One thing that's remarkable about them is that they sound good (to me) on or off axis, up close or far away, unlike many cabs that sound good when you're right next to them but lose their tone at a distance. I'm not sure I'd want to own an Acme (and the requisite high-wattage amp) but they are certainly some of the best sounding cabs I've heard.
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I find it equally strange that no one talks about acne any more. Coincidence? I think not.
  11. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    the Acmes i've played were pretty goosed in the lows, so you might love it considering you're a pbass/flats kinda guy.

and thankfully for me, acne hasnt quite made the comeback. ;)
  12. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    I think that lots of us were seduced by the notion of super-transparent cabs and ultra hi-fi tone for a while and bought Acmes (I tried several myself).

But, just like boutique, high-end neck-through basses, we found that the slick tones produced by this stuff just didn't work well for the music we were doing.
  13. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    While I've come to appreciate the capabilities of my Acme B2 (4 Ohm). I've also taken to leaving it at home.

The main reason is efficiency...I use a QSC PLX2402 which is capable of hitting the Acme with 700+ watts (not bridged). It never seemed loud enough and the woofers were starting to fart pretty badly. I was using the QSC's limiter and 30 Hz filter. Using the 50 Hz filter seemed to help, but the inherent inefficiency of the Acme woofers also limits its maximum SPL.

At the time I was setting the B2 (vertically) on top of my homebrew EV TL606 loaded with an (8 ohm) EVM15B. The EV was connected to the QSC's other channel and had no trouble keeping up volume wise (and low end wise) with the band.

For P Bass/Flatwound tones, you could go with a pair of small/light 1x15s because you'll never need the real low end capability of the Acmes. Cabinets like Bag End or Avatar's Compact 115 would work well. I just bought a pair of the Avatars and they sound great, even with my 5 string Warwick.

Good luck!!!

p.s. While you're still sure to take good care of your back!!!! (wish I had)
  14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    That summed it up nicely, Mike.
  15. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Amen to that!:D
  16. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Meanwhile, the search for a convincing bass modeling amplifier continues.........
  17. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I prefer the old fashioned way.. just use a lot of basses and a killer amp;)