Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Its stronger after its broken??

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Gallient Knight, Nov 30, 2002.

1. Many thanks first of all to everyone that contributes to this board. Its great to be able to do some quick searches and return hunderds of years of knoweldge.

I had a neck with a broken scarf joint, and with a little courage and some TitebondII its better then new.

So my question is. Why is the joint stronger after being reparied then it is after original manufacturing?

Shouldn't they then be made , broken and then fixed before leaving the shop?

2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Taylor Guitars does this with thier guitars. They attach the headstocks to the necks with a fingerjoint, saying it's 20% stronger. By that logic, why don't we go around breaking the heads off of all the old Les Pauls and other Gibsons that aren't already broken and repaired? IMO, it's because it kills the tone. (And on Taylors, even the $4k ones, it looks like s***) None of my guitars or basses have a glued on headstock for that reason. I would MUCH rather have an instrument with a 1 piece neck that resonates rather than a 2 or 3 piece neck in which the sound stops when it hits that glue joint.
    Of course, this is all my I]opinion[/I] on this.

3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Are you sure it is stronger than new? There's no real reason why this should be if the scarf joint was executed correctly in the first place.

4. Thanks FBB. Thats exactly my question. The folks I have spoken to at Washburn as well as a few techs I have consulted have all said that its stronger after the repair.

So far playing it, it feels good, but it hasn't developed superhuman strength.

5. FBB Custom

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Washburn said that? Is it their guitar?

I suppose there are circumstances in which a repaired headstock could be stronger, but none of them involve a good, well-done scarf joint to begin with.

Did the headstock break along the glue joint? Some glues are stronger than the wood they bond, so maybe the folks at Washbrun feel that if the break was in the wood, that the glue would strengthen the weaker wood. I still don't buy it.

6. It was along the glue joint perfectly. I went with Titebond II as the repair glue. And since then have used that same glue for 2 other home wood repairs. Its great stuff.

7. FBB Custom

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Well, if the glue joint failed then the only reasons a repair would be better are if you use a stronger glue, make a tighter joint, or use some reinforcement that they did not use in their original glue.

8. msherman

msherman

Nov 20, 2002
    Connecticut, USA
    I was the former Custom Shop Manager @ Washburn, and this was a common problem with their Spanish Luthier joints. Nine times out of ten, I found that the person gluing up the necks wasn`t using enough glue during the proceedure. IMO, Spanish Luthier joints are not the optimum way of constructing a neck and have inherant problems due to gluing a peghead to end-grain on the neck.

Mike

9. Wow Thanks! I am still amazed sometimes at the people and information that is available by being a member of this board.

BTW- What do you think of the washburn XB9XX series basses. I had an XB920 (MM series) and I loved it. I have my eye one an XB 925 at the moment.

Thanks for the information