Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by bassist31588, Jan 16, 2003.

1. lol. Seriously, I have POP's rosin, the real sappy/syruppy kind. I guess I put it on my shelf, and It went off falling behind my desk. When I move my desk away to clean up behind under the shelves where I keep **** (keep in miond the desk is near a closet) It must've fallen and sapped out of the container!

So how do you get Pop's rosin off of a carpet? I tried prying it out but that was pretty useless.

:D :D :D

I'm serious by the way...
  2. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    As a kid I had a mean teacher who'd stick in your hair the bubble-gum you were chewing in class by mistake...

Pop's is sticky, you should switch to Nyman.

Anyway, try remove the bigger chunks, maybe by making the rosin more brittle by lowering its temperature, with ice cubes, then find a solvent that dissolves the rosin and that's not too volatile so you have time to soak it - and the dissolved rosin- up before it dried up. Rubbing alcohol ?

Easier to say than to do. Lucky it's not in the middle of the room, but behind the desk...
  3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Try useing the ice, then RESOLVE.let in soak forever. then see if it's easyer to get up.
  4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I grew up in a passive solar house. One night I left my rosin on top of the TV after practicing, adn the TV was right in the firing line of the 8ft x 20ft window. Sometime later the next day I noticed the blob spreading out over the top of the set. It was there for about 10 years until the TV was finally replaced.
  5. Ronaldo Schmeitzich?
  6. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Wasn't around when this was first posted,but for future reference, here are a few suggestions.

First, as rosin is defined as friable, tree based resin, the first step would be to TEST an organic solvent, such as turpentine on a small hunk of it separately. I think this would likely succeed in dissolving the resin, but may potentially stain the carpet, depending on color. Turpentine has a little tinge of color, and with the Pops or whoever's rosin added may have more amber to stain.

I would also test paint thinner and odorless spirits, both alone, and to be used after turps in a second cleaning.

You can also try naptha or lighter fluid, but my success with that on fabrics has not been as good. The petroleum based product has stained the work I have tested it on.

When ready to remove, remove as much mechanically as you can. Then use the solvent. Test solvent the in an inconspicous area first, like inside the closet, just to be sure the solvent doesn't decimate the hi-tech fiber you carpet may be made out of.

If all else fails, you can take out the bow, and use the carpet to rosin the bow, but that may take a few years...
  7. thanks for that response, I still havent gotten it off. NExt time I rearrange my room Ill test it.;)
  8. I don't know if this mechanical approach will help.
    In my church, inevitably candle drippings get on the carpet. We place dry paper towels over the wax and run an iron over the towel. The wax melts and migrates toward the more absorbent material.

By the title of this thread, I had the impression you got rosin in your toupee, in which case I would recommend removing it before attempting this procedure.

Good luck.