Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

It's the End of the World as we know it!! Friday?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bruce Lindfield, Feb 11, 2003.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

So last night I was watching this 3-4 hour TV drama in the UK called "The Second Coming" which is basically about a new Messiah who comes to earth and is verified by the Vatican and miracles.

So he tells everybody that humankind must come up with the "3rd Testament" or it will be Judgement Day - end of the world!!

So - cue loads of footage of people panicking, riots, looting, motorways blocked, cities emptied etc etc.

I won't tell you how it ends in case you get the chance to see it - but I was just feeling that it caught a mood which is currently "in the air"!! :meh:

So we have terrorist alerts in London and the US - people talking about fresh water supplies and so it seems that this Friday is the deadline and effectively the start of WAR.

My organisation has had a big shake-up also, with many redundancies and I was told by email today that I will be interviewed on Friday and told whether or not I have a job!! :bawl:

So does anybody else feel that it won't be worth getting up on Saturday morning?

:(

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I definitely won't be getting up on Saturday morning, with me and my new girlfriend finally meeting again Friday evening... :cool: :p

3. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    there is a saturday morning? when i wake up its saturday afternoon:D

bp13:bassist:

4. Bruce Lindfield

I meant - not getting up ...again....ever!!! :eek:

Friday seems to be like a huge watershed - but I don't know whether this is just my impression or a general feeling?

5. I've gone through dozens of "end-of-the world" predictions since I was a child, and we're still here. Let me know if this one is fulfilled.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Hey - you know if you right click on this little guy and then click "properties" you get :

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/images/smilies/guitarist.gif

He is a Guitarist!! :mad:

Out, damn infiltrator!! :spit:

I knew that technique looked wrong! ;)

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Well, at least I die while getting laid. :p

I usually tend to be a bit on the pessimistic/melancholic side of things, but I refuse to give up just yet.

There's still something we can do - go to protest marches etc.

As someone here said before, friends don't let friends start risky and pointless wars.

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Shucks.....I thought this might be about Manchester United playing Bayer Leverkusen again. ;)

9. Bruce Lindfield

Well, I don't really believe it will be the end of the world....but I can imagine waking up on Saturday morning and we are at war....and I have no job!! :(

10. I'm gonna start early, I've no plans to get up on Friday..... c'mon, I'm single...... :(

Anyway, I've actually been getting the impression that (more local) things are looking up. Okay, so there's war (well.......), but things like college, the local music scene, generally the stuff that seems more important to an 18-year old student, is really looking up.

Admittedly, the war is very bad, and I do care about it.... but some kind of underground scene seems to be setting itself up.

Or something. I ain't to sure. There *is* an atmosphere of confusion round here. Maybe that's just due to the songs my teacher just gave me for assesment.:bawl: :( :rolleyes:

11. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

What are you talking about man? I strum my basses like mad!

12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Good luck with the job thing Bruce. If they take your stapler and move your desk into the basement, that is a bad sign. ;)

13. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

You have luck like that as well........

Sorry to hear about your job - it'll put a damper on the rest of the week! War potentially starting is a major league downer for many nations! I wonder if St Valentine ever imagined that he would be celebrated on a day like that?:confused: :(

14. Bruce Lindfield

Especially as I mostly work from home!! ;)

15. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Yes. Friday is Valentine's Day. :(

Hope your job works out Bruce!

16. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Oh, Geez Bruce, I'm sorry...

I really hope you don't lose your job. :(

Let us know the outcome on Friday.

Still, on the upside, if you were to lose your job - you could be a full time musician? :)

17. 'sup bruce. you sure start a lot of sentences with "so." good luck, compadre. :cool:

18. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    You can have my job Bruce! I don't want it any more. Do ya know anything about superannuation? U could learn.....

19. i'll still be recovering form surgery on friday...It's gonna be a lonely HallmarkCard Day

20. Bruce Lindfield

I have actually worked on superannuation for several years - I've done most things : Personnel, Project management, Marketing, etc etc

Actually it's not that bad as they have said that they can't afford to give redundancy to people with as long service as me, as it would be too expensive under our redundancy agreement. So they will have to find me another job - but my worry is that I won't be able to work from home so much - so I will have less time for practising, playing etc. :(