Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

It's the end of the world as we know it...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Yup, Wal*Mart is on the iTunes kick - for 88 cents a song. Time to hide in your bomb shelter.

Singing at Wal-Mart
    No. 1 retailer starts selling online music for 88 cents a song, below iTunes 99 cents a song.
    March 23, 2004: 10:11 AM EST

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Wal-Mart Stores Inc., the world's largest retailer, said Tuesday it officially launched its online music store, which it began testing in December.

The store, which allows customers to download a song from the Internet for 88 cents, has added new artists and been expanded by 50 percent, the Bentonville, Ark.-based retailer said.

Wal-Mart, whose service competes against 99-cent songs from Apple Computer Inc.'s iTunes music store, said that for the next two months it would be the exclusive supplier of songs from artists carried by the Curb Records label.

Curb's artists include country music stars Tim McGraw and LeAnn Rimes. Wal-Mart said its site would also carry exclusive songs from artists including Jessica Simpson, Shania Twain and Shakira.

A Wal-Mart spokeswoman did not immediately return a call seeking comment on whether the music service is profitable. Apple's song service loses money.

Analysts have said the goal for Wal-Mart is to bring more people to its Web site. Even if the music service sold 100 million songs, that would add up to just $88 million -- insignificant for a company that recorded nearly $260 billion in revenue last year.

Wal-Mart (WMT: Research, Estimates) is the dominant force in U.S. retailing, but it was relatively late to the dot.com world and has been adding online services in hopes of boosting its Web presence. It recently started offering contact lens prescription and DVD rental services

2. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i feel fine

3. Sometimes i feel like the only person left in the world that doesnt mind buying cds. :meh:

These digital music wars are nuts :p

4. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I'm still with you. I like to get the whole album and hear the songs that I might not have heard elsewhere. I like cover art. I like to read the liner notes. I like going to the record store.

5. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I miss vinyl records too. The cover and inside art was like getting cool mobile posters as a bonus.

6. Yeah, vinyl kicks. I was just listening to 'Frampton Comes Alive' on vinyl the other day. Great stuff.

7. I hear ya...
    I especially like when you know an album is comming out by a favorite artist soon...gives you something to be excited about. I dont think you can get the same feeling from digital music.
    Right now im going crazy waiting for the new Megadeth album...i can hardly wait for that sucker. :D

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I'm still going to use iTunes.

9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    The wal-mart store will specialize in country music.

10. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Yeah, I'm stickin' with itunes.

11. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Will the music sold at the Wal-Mart online store be aggressively censored so it is "family friendly" like the CDs they sell in their physical stores? :rolleyes:

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    People listen to country music?

13. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm with you guys. I don't care for downloading my music.

14. I am really half a pirate in the music industry.

I download some stuff by a band, listen it over, find what's good, buy the cd, and delete the mp3's, is there anything really wrong with that.

I only download music to hold me over untill I can buy it.

15. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    One thing I don't understand: Apple is losing money doing the iTunes store. Why? Hollywood isn't losing money selling $20 DVDs of movies that cost $100 million to make, and an album that cost $100,000 to make loses money when it sells off individual songs for 99 cents? Why would Apple do something like this? It's certainly not for charity, that's for sure.

16. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    The point of the iTunes music store is not to make money, it never was, the point is to sell iPods!

those things have a hefty profit margin, and they are an in-demand item, plus the whole iTunes experience is amplified once you get an iPod, total CD replacement right there.

That's why many of these stores are doomed to fail, because no one has compelling hardware to sell in conjunction, and no one dares charge more than $.99 a song, because of apple(and the psychological marketing trick)

Microsoft will likely pull an Xbox when it comes to their online store, they can afford to lose a lot of money if it means gaining the market and becoming the household name. They half failed with the Xbox, in that they don't have market dominance, but they still grabbed a big chunk of the market.

I think though, the biggest thing Apple has going for them is the abundance of exclusive tracks, live tracks and pre-releases. The Grateful dead is poised to release their ENTIRE catalogue onto iTunes, including all their live shows that they recorded over the years!

as well, Cdbaby has a deal with apple, where you can sign up for digital distribution, where, for a little extra fee, your stuff is put on iTMS. That's totally killer too.

Apple made some mistakes with the Personal computer market that cost them dominion, but I think Steve jobs won't make the same mistakes again with the legal download market.

now if only artists would stop demanding their music be sold as album only, and likewise refusing music services to use them. That's just silly.

17. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I am personally, fully embracing music downloads. CDs to me have become shiny paperweights, erroneous clutter that I could do without.

There is still a thrill of getting a new CD, and opening it, and reading liner notes while grooving to the first couple tracks, downloading can never replace that. But there is an equal(but different) thrill of hearing of a new artist by name, than instantly being able to HEAR them, and if you dig it, have it on your computer in under 5 minutes.

That said, I still love vinyl, and will always buy records.

18. You're not alone - I still buy CDs for the sound quality... however I'm sure they'll find a way to ruin that in shortly.

--jeff

19. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    The thing there is, when I DO buy a CD I inevitably end up ripping it the moment I get it, then it goes on my iPod, I might play the CD once(aside from ripping) and then it's done for.

Maybe If I had really high quality speakers and headphones I'd care about sound quality, but the truth is, the difference is so minute when played on so-so speakers, that it really doesn't bother me.

20. Good points.

I do the same thing - however, I store the music in a losslessly compressed format called Monkey's Audio (unfortunately not working well yet on MacOS), rather than MP3 or some other lossy format. I'm very particular about the quality of MP3s that go into my iPod (measley 30gb...), and I bought a set of aftermarket headphones as I wasn't happy with the stock ear buds. My main headphones are too cumbersome to be used outside the house.

Of course, the best analog system (with vynil as the source) will always sound better than the best digital system, IMHO.

--jeff