1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

it's the smell

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by doublemuff216, Jul 16, 2005.

1. doublemuff216

doublemuff216

Jun 14, 2004
    Astoria NY
    ok guys and gals i need some advice...can/ should i put dr 50-110 electric strings on my acoustic? i have a set and i hate the way my acoustic strings make my hands smell...and are there any acoustic strings that won't make my hands smell really bad? (yes i wash my hands before i play so it's not that)

2. Are those strings coated with something? Chances are that that is the case. I have zero experience with this (even though I have played an acoustic bass guitar) but I know that electric bass strings are built with the intention of being picked-up by pick-ups. That doesn't mean that it won't work, though, because my 6 string neck-thru is pretty loud unapplified with normal electric bass strings, not having a hollow body and all.

I would say that unless you hear otherwise from other TBers, I would go for it. And if you don't like those strings you can save them for your electric.

P.S. I would use flatwounds if I were you, or atleast nickel round/ground/half rounds, not stainless. It would help maintain the acoustic sound.

*edit* Or, you could try to find some non-coated acoustic strings. I don't know if they exist, or if all acoustic strings aren't coated at all, but its worth a look/try.

3. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    I had the same problem with using regular bronze strings on my acoustic guitar a few weeks back. They left a funky, metallic stink on my hands. I moved over to Elixirs on that, and the problem was solved. I think it's just the bronze winding that does it, couldn't tell ya why though.