1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Its this the right Chip for an G&L 2500 Tribute bass??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rgarcia26, Apr 2, 2013.

1. rgarcia26

rgarcia26

Jun 9, 2008
    Miami Florida
  2. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    the lf411 is a standard 8 pin opamp.. that one on ebay will do fine, just note that there are faster, quieter, lower power opamps around...a small amout of google time may get you an upgrade

3. rgarcia26

rgarcia26

Jun 9, 2008
    Miami Florida
    Thanks should not be a problem to find a replacement for it, and all the conections will be same?

4. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    Yes, that's the same op-amp. What makes you so sure the "chip" is "fried"??? Have you checked to make sure it's getting power? The 3-terminal switching jacks on active basses are known to fail after extensive use, eliminate the simple stuff first. I'd also make sure the volume pot is good and that you don't have any short circuits killing your signal. Make sure the pickup has continuity as well. Moving, mechanical parts (jacks, pots) are more likely to fail than electronic components in general.

De-soldering and then re-soldering a replacement op-amp could be an exercise in frustration if you're not experienced working on electronics. Make sure you have the real problem identified before tearing things aparts. :ninja:

5. rgarcia26

rgarcia26

Jun 9, 2008
    Miami Florida
    +1 I am not sure that is the Chip, the bass have very little use its almost new, the pre-amp stop working and I never play attention to it, its works in Passive no problems

6. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

+1 here also. I doubt is is the chip, there is just no way to damage it. A little troubleshooting is called for. Sure - any part can fail, but the IC is on the low side of the percentages.

In addition, de-soldering and re-soldering the IC could REALLY damage the preamp unless you are experienced at it.

7. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Stupid question time...

Did you check the battery?

8. rgarcia26

rgarcia26

Jun 9, 2008
    Miami Florida
    I hear you Guys... I spoke to the Chris in Tech support for G&L and he will send me a pre-amp board... that should do

I have also an L-2000 series e, with a similar problem I may orden a whole new preamp form them or someone else

9. Andy Hohwald

Andy Hohwald

Apr 2, 2013
    What a cool thread

10. rgarcia26

rgarcia26

Jun 9, 2008
    Miami Florida
    Lol Yes I did I got a brand new bat...

Guys I am sorry but I neglect to tell you that I sold the bass I am trying to help my buyer :help:

11. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Well I wouldn't say "no way". WAY, Dude! Yeah, I managed to blow one out. If it was working fine and then suddenly quits it could be the chip. But first you obviously want to check other things like voltage to the board and looking for broken wires (THE most common fault on a G&L preamp)

But warnings about board damage are REAL! Look for someone experienced not just in electronic repair but in CIRCUIT BOARD REPAIR! (and with the equipment...solder suckers etc). AND when they remove the chip have them install a chip socket for the new one. Chips are cheap and a sack of chips and a socket makes for an easy test in the future if the problem is the chip. It also saves the board from any future desoldering. Note that with too much heat or too many chip replacements the copper foil will come loose from the circuit board making repair a nightmare (think manual wiring and epoxy).