its' time for a game of "good idea" "bad idea"

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by scorpionldr, Apr 17, 2005.

1. so, here i am on saturday night, talking with my friends, and all of a sudden i find myself hearing "yea, hey jim, i got a serious question to ask you. would it be ok for you to find another drummer, while i kinda fill in until you do?" in short, my friend has been pretty depressed for years and has finally come down to the point that he finds no part of life pleasing except for sleep (ie, he is verging on suicidal). i agreed he should get some help, but being the bastard in the band as i am my attitude was like "man, maybe before you decide to make this final we should just play a gig and see if we get a good response."
    my reasons for this is that my drummer is prettymuch obsessed with being on stage, and he developed to the stage where he finds he doesn't even want to be involved with seeing a show unless he's gigging. for weeks on end we've been pretty unproductive because (if you've read any of my posts you'll know what i'm talking about) we've been focused on finding a guitar player.
    i'm kinda desperate to keep this thing going, and thinking deeply, i see that the band is prettymuch perfect as far as lineup and sound, but we don't want to be the oddballs without a guitar player, so the question to conclude this post is: if my guys and i have our stuff together, and we sound great, but we don't have a guitar player, should we get a gig to save the band and see if anyone likes us?
  2. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    What kind of music do you play? Is it the only guitar in the band that you're looking for? Is it really decent enough without it?

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    get a gig. "oddballs" aside, you'll be surprised what a fun gig can do for depression.
  4. it's like punk mixed with grindcore and other influences. i'm using distortion now as "guitarist substitute" so it sounds good, but on recordings it just sounds a little lacking. we have kept going at it for near two years tho so there's something redeeming about it. my friend's got this thing about becoming the "recluse", too, where he no longer wants to regard himself as a part of any society, so this kinda worries me. but at the same time it's nothing i didn't experience. I can get you a URL to myspace with songs on it when i get the chance to upload the files off the tape. recording quality is ranging from mediocre to crap.
  5. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    no, because if you dont have a guitar player that will just be what, a singer, drums and bassplayer? thats weak man. what i suggest is. let the drummer go play ina side band that is going to play a lot of gigs. drummers are hard to come by and most bands that gig a lot are always looking for a drummer. and then wheny ou guys are ready, and plan on playing a lot of shows, have him come back.
  6. yes shawn that's where i got the title off of. that was a damn good episode to. "whistling while you work-good idea. whistling while you eat- bad idea"
  7. point taken, but did you even read anything in the same sentence as the word "recluse?" IE, he's been in 4 other bands that have either gotten one shot at a gig, and then prettymuch broke up, or they never made it out of the basement. If things don't take off NOW we're gonna deal with the fact that he's going to be busy with therapy and leave his music scene altogether. . I hate to argue, but saying "find another band to keep him busy" is a rediculous statement, because bands either have it together, or there really not pulling anything noticeable together.

think of it like an alcoholic. he goes into a bar thinking "i'll have just ONE shot of whiskey" and when he leaves smashed back in the same place he left off at when he decided to stop drinking. he's developed to the point where he almost doesn't care about improving because he's been in a bunch of bands that just resulted in him wasting his talent.

as for the sound being weak, i'll let reactions that the recordings recieve on myspace speak the truth. they'll be up soon. oh, and andruca, yea, just a guitarist i'm looking for.
  8. you might want to investigate in a band called "Death from Above 1979". that's sort of the sound weve got, but we take it at a heavier approach.

sorry if i'm bothering you guys