It's time for me to bid bassing a farewell

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Selta, May 6, 2003.

1. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Hello all.

It's been a tough decision for me to make. I've been thinkin' it over for some time now. Recently, as you may or not know, my father has threatened to rid me of all my gear, due to having now three C's on report cards. Not all at once even! I'm not going to rant though. He has taken everything from me, and unless I get straight A's, I lose it all. I'm not even allowed to sell it, straight to the trash cans, in pieces. But, to overcome this, I was going to start buying more gear, without his knowledge, to keep the bassing spirit high within myself.

A few months back however, I undertook a project. My dad owned an '88 Firebird, in which I would get for free, if I would restore it. I have since all but completed this, and await a 350 to fill the 173's void. But now, tomorrow, I am going to buy a '88 Camaro. This is yet another project, the body needs some work. So, instead of being able to buy new gear, I've decided, after MUCH thinking, that I'm going to finish hot rodding these cars, and then return to bassing FULL TIME. Through this time though, I shall be absent.

Though not completly. I may be getting a loaner MIM Jazz bass to play acoustically while hot rodding, just to keep in practice, and all that. No amp, no nothing though.

I've drawn up a plan over the past few hours, and it looks like it's going to take all but 3-4 years to completly finish my projects.

During this time, I will be playing soly on the MIM Jazz bass, without ever plugging in.

Afterwards though, as I mentioned, I will be returning to bassing full time, as a college student even. I will stay as active on this forum as possible, and since I'm not 100% walking away from playing, I think that wont be to hard.

This was a VERY tough decision for me to make, but I have, and it's pretty much set in stone, unless I pull all A's.

Though my mind is mostly set, I would like to hear your opinions on this matter. Should I budget in bassing as well, or just do as I said, and play on that one bass in the meantime?

Bad_Habit_Bassist (fmr):bawl:
  2. :bawl:

...A Headphone amp?

A shortscale bass? can practice on the toilet.

good luck w/ the vehicles bro!

Your Friend, Jon
  3. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Heh, trust me, I've pushed all these ideas around about 1,000 times each. Though it is a bit silly, if not selfish to want to do these cars, I want to keep them forever, n unless I get started now, it will never got done. It's been rough, but I do see the light...

4. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    That really stinks man! I bought my first bass my senior year and managed to keep it hidden until the summer, and then decided to tell them :D. They complain about teh noise occasionally but wouldn't do anything real harsh like take it away adn smash it up. Hopefully your plan all works out as planned man! Good luck !
  5. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Instead of stating new projects now, get your grades up for the last few weeks of school. then you can do the cars in the summer and keep you bass gear.:D
  6. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I think this whole "Push your kids to pull nothing but straight A's and be a successful laywer/doctor/banker" deal is a bunch of BS. That's the reason why kids rebel. My parents were always happy as long as a pulled a 70% average in school and stayed out of trouble. And you know what the funny part is? I always respected my parents and never had any reason to rebel. Why because they respected me and knew I could choose my own path. Sure they helped me in making decisions and what not, but they were never like "You have to have a 98% average, be in the honors society, be an altar boy at our church ect." With no pressure from my parents, I was the top business student of my graduating class, in which I gruduated with Business honors, graduated in the top three of my computer tech school, worked a prestigous job as an IT technician and now I'm making plans to get a bachelors (and hopefull eventually a PHD) in pyschology. And that's not even touching on my musical accomplishments. I'm not trying to brag or have a swollen head, but I just felt like proving a point and that is, I don't believe in parents forcing their children to be straight A students. In the scheme of things, grades are a small part of things, it's how hard you are willing to work to accomplish your goals that matters the most. It also jacks me off to know end that your father would throw away your musical equipment. I have so much respect for musical equipent it both saddens me and P***es me off to see such tools of expression be wasted.

Now that I'm done ranting........ :D

Good luck and hope you come back to music with full vigor. :)
  7. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Ditto. Type As are born, not made. And the world already has enough of them.

Why anyone would actively encourage his/her kid to waste the best years of their life as a soulless corporate wage slave who, in this economy, will probably be laid off at the age of 25 is beyond me.

I speak, of course, as a soulless corporate wage slave. I think "Office Space" should be mandatory viewing for parents looking to mold their kids into respectable employees.
  8. I'm totally with SMASH on this one. I think a lot of you are getting it wrong. Yeah, some parents push for the wrong reason. BUT some *gasp* actually want to see their kids work up to their potential. If you had the raw talent and the knowledge to be one of the greatest musicians in the world, wouldn't you just kick yourself in the @ss to be that greatest musician in the world? Or would you just sit around and complain about how hard it is, while watching 1/2 hr. sitcoms and eating microwave-burritos?

Parents (most, not all) know their kids alot better than kids realize, and they also know what their kids are capable of doing. Sometimes, a push to excell at something isn't an attempt at living vicariously through their kids. It's done because they might not want their kids to grow up with regret.

My folks hassled me in junior high and high school when I would get B+'s, or sometimes even A-'s. It used to anger me to no end at the time. I seriously thought they were the most unfair parents in the world. However, it wasn't because they wanted me to be a genius or at the top of my class. They wanted me to perform at the top of my abilities. Everytime I got an "average" or "slightly-above-average" grade, they totally knew I was sandbagging it! (I was usually sleeping in those classes).

I think when you are young (and 18 is young in my book), no matter how smart you are, it's difficult to see that your parents only want what's best for you. I realize that alot of you are going to flame back about how your parents never understood you and blah blah and made you do things and blah blah and how they are so controlling and blah blah and how they forced you to try different things that you didn't like and blah blah blah. How do you know what you're capable of when you're young? I'm almost 29 and I'm still learning that I can do alot of things I never thought I could accomplish when I was younger. In fact, if I could go back in time and tell myself at 18 that this is how I'd turn out, I'd never believe it.

Anyways.... good luck with the cars (you should still be doing homework IMO;) ) and good luck finding yourself in the next few years. When you do, it'll be a pleasant surprise.
  9. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    LOL :D

I think part of the reason I went off on my little rant though is I knew a kid back in HS who's parents were just like that. I think he was suppose to get like a 95% or something like that in every subject, every marking period. His parents were total yuppie wannabe's. They tried so hard to be noticed in the community. They are the type of people that measure "Success" by the size of your bank account and how expensive of car your drive. I can't stand people like that. I don't know, I was never a materialistic person. Don't get me wrong, I want to live in a nice house and drive a nice vehicle. I don't want to live from pay check to pay check. But my dream was never to live in a snobby houseing development with a brand new full size-extended cab Chevy truck and a BMW in the driveway. Not saying that there's anything wrong with people who live that way, but there are a lot of people like that who think they are "better" than others because they have material possessions. When I was an IT technician, one of the clients I use to go to had employers who were probaly making six digit numbers a year. And you know what? They were probaly some of the most stressed out and unhappy people I ever met. Maybe I'm like that because music is so important to me, and it's something so intangible and you can't buy talent.

I agree with you though Smash. It's kind of funny. I've been out of HS for a few years now. A lot of the kids in my class, and the class under me who coasted through school because they were jocks or because their parents had a lot of pull in the community (and there for, a lot in my small town school) are now doing horrible in college. Ticks me off actually. They were basically given a free ride to college and now they are blowing it. I doubt I'll be able to afford the tuition for a university so I'm probaly going to wind up in a community college (not that there's anything wrong with that) and I'll probaly going to be in debt for a very, very, very long time.

Sorry about hijacking your thread BHB. :D Oh well, I guess that's the nature of talk bass.
  10. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

This is so off the mark dude...Born not made? Corporate wage slave? :rolleyes:

You are what you make of yourself.
  11. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Woah, a thread of mine got more than 3 replies! :D

Anyhoo, you guys said about people watching tv, and BSing alot n stuff. Well, I in reality don't do much of that. I study for 2 hours a night, and still can't pull straight A's. This is because I'm taking two college courses in high school, and the rest of my classes are honors. If I took all normal classes, hell, I could pull all A's sleeping! But no, I wanted to impress everyone and take all the hard classes. Well, now it came back to bite me in the ass!!!

I have no social life, and don't do ANYTHING at all, but study, read, listen to music, and work on cars. That's it! Oh well, just me!

12. It sounds like yuo are at least trying to be a good student, which is a lot more than can be said fr most kids. If you have hard classes, work your ass off, and get a C, then be proud of that C. Explain to your dad that its the best you could do. If somebody doesnt ever try or care about school and gets As and somebody else does but gets Cs, the C student is probably much better off in the long run.
  13. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    That's a fair comment and very true. But the reverse is also true. I think a lot of kids know their parents better than their parents realize. Here's an example: Whenever you know that one of your parents dreamed of, say, going law school but didn't; and you get leaned on to do that, it's easy to put two and two together. My point: Parents may act out of concern to push their child to achieve their potential. They may also act to live out vicarious dreams and cure their own insecurities. They may even think that they are doing the former while they are in fact doing the latter.
  14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Hang tough Ray!

Do what you have to do with the car vs. music thing... I put the bass down for a couple years and even thou I regret the time away, I don't regret the personal/musical growth that came from stepping away.

If your stuff goes away AND with the cars you still want to play... let me know. I'll ship you my microbass to borrow till your done with it.

and tell your old man the Sunn 2x15 was sold already ;)
  15. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    Man that is tough situation. I am now 30 yrs old and can see both sides of the fence. I started playing when I was 13 but really started hitting it hard when I was 15. At the time I was working and had my own car, bought my own clothes and paid my own way. My grades also started slipping so one day I walked in and parents said hand over the bass (I was playing 6-8hrs a day) untill your grades come up. I was furious, that was MY bass and "you cant take away something that isnt yours" I said. I went and got the bass brought into the front room and threw it across the house and said " take it I have job and I will have another by the end of the week".

Well later that night they gave it back to me and tried to talk to me like the adult that I thought I was at the time but when your that young the world is so small and it revolves around your little part of the neighborhood and I could not see past high school. At the time I did not know what I wanted to do I just knew what I didnt want to do, let me sum it up for you. I didnt want to do anything involving the following, numbers and math, science, english, history or computers. In other words "would you like fries with that" because thats all thats left. I had no knowledge of all the jobs out there and what it takes to get one of those jobs. Luckily as I grew older I got a littler smarter also and now I design aircraft components which throws the whole numbers thing out the window but hey its all good and I had to have a way to buy some better gear.

A little over a year ago my wife gave birth to our son, and guess what we have another son due in july. I now know and think all the time about how i will handle this subject as it comes up so I can also see what your father is trying to do. As a young person I was unable to see how all the decisions I made where connected to the rest of my life but they are and my parents knew this but I could not see it so cut your father a little slack and see if you guys can work out something to keep your gear and maybe play only on the weekends or something untill both parties are happy. Believe me he only has your best interest at heart so try to see that but also explain that playing is a part of you. Sorry for the novel guys.
  16. babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    Threatening to trash your gear because you got three nonconsecutive Cs?

That's a bunch of nonsense.
  17. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    It's not off the mark. What exactly about my comment offends you, anyway?

I'm in my late twenties, making very respectable money at a very respectable job. All I can say is that I wish I spent more time having fun!

You have the rest of your life to be responsible - take advantage of your youth.
  18. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Agreed. That's overreacting and sends a very bad message IMHO.

If you got the C's because you were skipping classes, not doing the work, etc etc, that'd be one thing, but that isn't the case here.

What if your dad's boss threatened to smash his car if he didn't meet certain objectives?
  19. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    My parents have always had very high standards for me, but because of my sister. She got all A's though HS, took similar courses (not the college ones, but the honors ones), so they think I should get identical grades. He did take my gear away, when I got the first C the first marking peroid. Ever since he's threatened to get rid of it, and I know that he will this time unless I get stragiht A's -- he said so, and I just know he meant it.

Thanks for the offer James, who knows, it may come down to that. I'm not sure about the 2x15 though, he has it with everything else....I'm workin' on bargining though!

Well, thanks for all the support n everything, I just can't wait to get out of here (typicaly 17 year old comment, I know, but I've put up with this crap for years, but haven't we all?). It's just, of all things he had to take that -- cos he knew that's pretty much all I care about.

Since he's done this though, if he does get rid of my gear, I'm going to consider a career in Music now, 1) cos I'd love it, 2) cheap college (But are there any good paying jobs?) and 3) to shove it back in his face. I've considered them before, and now I'm all but set on them. Before I was considering a programming or graphics thing, but I'm keeping options open, and it depends on who'll take me! :D

20. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Good luck. I think that restoring cars can be a very fulfilling thing as is playing bass. Do what you have to do to get where you want to be. I'm a bit younger than you [16] and understand the pressure to get good grades and for the most part i fulfill the requirement except for my Math [geometry] and Spanish classes in that those two classes i get D's in since i honestly never quite learned the foundations of them and now it is coming back to get me in that i might not pass Geometry-the main thing i've agreed to myself is that until i get the Geometry grade into passing no more buying gear other than new strings & other need based things. Enjoy and best of luck. Thats all