Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

It's time....Show your Bongo!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmonkeee, Apr 15, 2004.

1. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I think there are enough of here now to merit a "Show your Bongo thread." Besides--I need to make tappity tappity typing sounds to fool people that I'm working hard until I leave here at 4pm.

Oh, and if you are planning on chiming in with "They look like toilet seats," or "Bongos sux--my ESP is teh R0x0rzz!11!" Do everyone a favor, and simply move along. More than likely, you're simply going to look like an idiot (or, even worse, an unoriginal idiot--Bongo bashing is soooo 2003). At the very least, you'll make Jack angry, and since he's now retired, he'll hunt you down and punish you with olive juice stained toothpicks. There are plenty of threads here with basses you probably DO like, so go and be an idiot in those. I don't mock your Warwick, so don't be Bongo-Hatin'.

Anyway, here's the before and after of my Bongo 5 string with H/H/piezo config.

[​IMG]

And, here's the new, improved Borg Bongo with Tort guard and Roland GK-2B V-Bass drivin' pickup:
    [​IMG]

It's currently set up with Hartke mediums, but they'll be replaced with TI Powerbass strings at some point.

I also hope to add a fretless Bongo to the fold before the end of the year. I hope they have some at the Summer NAMM in Nashville for me to drool on, I mean, play!

What you got?

Oh, and PS--if Mr Gimpy Gimp, or anyone else chimes in with the oh-so-witty "Bongos are ugly" comments, PLEASE don't quote them. If you don't feed the trolls, they tend to die.

2. s0ckeyeus

s0ckeyeus

Jun 2, 2003
    [​IMG]

Oh...wait...

3. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Sockeyeus, that's exactly what I was gonna do. The only Bongo I've got is the one in my dreams every night. I played one in GC a few months ago and have been itchin' ever so bad for one ever since.

BTW, is this thread designed to make Joe go bonkers? I think it may be considered cruel and unusual punishment for everyone to show their Bongos whilst he waits for the "Buy Joe a Bongo" fund to fill up. ;)

4. :oops: :oops:

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Beauty bassmonkee! I agree with the first pickguard too,
    but the tort certainly doesn't look bad. I'll own one of these one day for sure.

6. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    [​IMG]

I've since replaced that guard with a white pearloid, but the original guard remains in reserve. I like it both ways.

[​IMG]

Here's the fiver with a pearloid guard. I like IT with the old guard, too, but now you have me thinking about tort. Nice looking Bongo you got there, sir - and very Borg.

7. Nice Bongos. The more I see them the more I love them! Does anyone know if NAMM has a website cause I wanna see where there shows are.

8. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    I'll be honest, at first - didn't care for them. But bovinehost's 4-stringer up there is pretty darn cool.

These are really starting to grow on me.

Nice basses, all. :D

9. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado

10. zeronyne

zeronyne Recovering Keyboard Player

Nov 24, 2003
    Chicago
    I wish they'd offer an ebony or other black fretboard option. Since we're talking pure aesthetics, I think the rosewood clashed with the black and greys. Looks great with the orange.

BUT THAT'S JUST ME...not a slam on the bongo or anyone who owns one...I think they sound and play great.

11. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Damn...now I wish I hadn't removed the line from my original post that said, "Waiting for the first jacka$$ to post a pic of Ricky Ricardo, or tiny drums."

At least you got it out of the way early.

12. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I agree that Ebony would look very cool with the black and/or grey finishes.

13. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    They look so cheap.

But yes I know better.

14. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    It's funny. Some people think the tort guard looks "too traditional" on the Bongo. I thought the black ice guard was too "Sci Fi," and that's why I went with the tort. Maybe teh tort guard would look better if the bass was gloss black instead of the Sapphire Black. Just goes to show that there is a Bongo combination for everyone to hate/love. I also think I use too many "quotation marks."

And, yes--you will own a Bongo someday. EVERYONE will own a Bongo someday--they just don't know it yet. :ninja:

I welcome our new Bongo overlords. :D

I love the fact that it's called a 'Bongo' drives people nuts.

I love that it's made of basswood.

I love that the headstock is based on a can opener.

Looks like a toilet bowl? GREAT! My toilet bowl bass has chunks of your bass in its stool!

I want my Bongo to haunt the dreams of your children.

Other basses have taken out restraining orders against my Bongo.

My Bongo passes gas and blames it on the dog.

But, at the end of the day, my Bongo also happens to be the best sounding, most-comfortable-on-a-three-hour-gig, and most versatile bass I've played in 17 years.

Oh, and, I hate to be the one to tell you, but my Bongo slept with your girlfriend.

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    So, if that's all true, then you wouldn't mind forking over your Curbows to someone like, oh, me?

(I would like to point out that the previous post made me laugh so hard that if I were drinking anything at the time, it would have make monitor bukkake.)

16. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada

OH oh Wahhh :( It was him? who she was cheating on me with ? :bawl:

Meh, if I had a chance I would :D

17. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Your post both pleases, and sickens me.

I think I'll hold onto the Curbows, though. The 5 string is about to be shipped out to Michael Dolan for a refinish, and a defret. Should be cool.

Surely, there are more Bongo owners here than just Mr Host and I? :confused: C'mon! Show yourselves--I know you're out there...

18. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    the best looking bongo i saw was the one dave larue had with no pickguard in the orange-y finish like bovinehost's... no offense to your guys' - i didn't like them at first but they ARE starting to grow on me too... but i'd be a lit more tempted if they were optioned sans guard... :bassist:

19. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    [​IMG]

I don't know....I think they need guards, but hey, you know what they say about opinions.

20. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I'll end up in therapy for asking this--what happened to your holes? :meh:

Are they there and I just can't see them? Or, did you do some Bovinehost-style photoshoppin'?