It's time to MOD the Essex...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by 555, Jun 25, 2004.

1. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    ^As it says in the title of the thread.

I need a new bridge and new nut, it seems that the cheapy bridge and nut on my essex jazz is falling apart now (I expected some errors as i play this bass more) Recently the E string has been open string faint buzzing and my action is pretty average aswell and i dont want to raise the saddle on the E string. The bridge has also starting buzzing aswell and the saddles keep moving out of their place especially on the G string so i guess new bridge?

I found this nut and bridge for the bass, will these fit? i am absolute rubbish at measurements and maths lol

^Bridge in chrome

^Nut in white

Thanks in advance everyone! Can always count on this forum :D
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    My experience with two of these basses:

- buzzing E string isn't because of a bad nut, rather it is because of poor angle between the nut and the tuner. Easy remedy is to add a string retainer on the E string. The MIA Fender Deluxe 5's even have these on the E string . . .

- Better action can be achieved by leveling and recrowning the frets. After that, adjust the truss rod and bridge saddle height, and it will play like butter with no buzzing. You also might have to have the existing nut slots filed a little lower.

- Bridge saddle movement: you can replace the bridge, but a common remedy for the same problem in Fender bridges is to place a dab of clear fingernail polish on the adjustment screw after its set where you want. No more movement, and if you need to adjust in the future, it won't prevent you from doing so.
  3. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    String retainer? are those the metal things that go on the headstock where you have to slip the string below it and then feed it into the machinehead?

recrowning the frets? so does that mean i gotta re-fret my whole bass? Isnt it better just to get a new bridge that way i can save money as i dont have much to spend.

Ah the nail polish idea sounds good, need to check if my mums got any clear nail polish lol

Thanks for your help! :D