1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

It's time to say thanks TB!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fishheadjoe, Sep 11, 2008.

1. I feel it’s time that I said thanks to the fine members here at Talk Bass for all the great advice and knowledge transfer I have received, since joining up here a short time ago.
    My exploits with the bass were mainly during the early to mid 80’s. After graduating from college in the Music Industry Arts program at Fanshawe College in London Ontario, I and other members of the course, hit the road playing some of Ontario’s finest drinking establishments . We were a hard rock band that played covers and about half a dozen originals and I really enjoyed the whole experience. We gave up the goat after a few years, not knowing where and how my next meal was gonna come from, persuaded me to follow a different path.
    That path lead me away from music and into a completely non related field. It has put me in a position where music has become more of a hobby than a job. I also lost my desire to play! Yah, I would pick up my bass every 6 months or so, noodle a bit and put it away again and re-visit it again, far down the road.
    Admittedly, compared to my associates, I was a bit of a gear head back then! I guess not much has changed since then as I still find basses of all kinds intriguing and beautiful!
    About 6 months ago, my wife and I were invited to dinner at a new to us friends place. They were giving us the tour of their new house and I was shown his “music room”. In that room, he had a Strat, an Ovation and a very nice MIA Jazz bass! I grabbed the bass and started to enjoy it. My attention to the meal was very limited. I couldn’t believe how much I enjoyed playing it, it brought back so many good feelings and memories! I could actually feel my brain working hard to remember the various songs I was trying to play and found it to be very satisfying.
    The next day, I got out my Yamaha and started to play! I made a commitment to myself that I would play it every day. I have since lived up to my self and been able to comitt one hour a day to myself and my instrument. Yah, I’m having a blast!
    So, this leads me to why I’m saying thanks. It’s really been about 20 years since I was in tune with what’s going on and I must admit, there are quite a number of manufacturers that are new to me! You good folks have shed a great deal of light on so many subjects and so many ideas that I sometimes feel overwhelmed.
    I have decided to buy a new instrument. Financially I have the ability now and I also have the full support of my family (wife and a 4 and 6 year old!) My wife tells me she has not seen me as relaxed as I have been lately, in a long, long time! I know it’s the fact that I’m playing again, if only for myself, but the satisfaction I get out of the instrument, is to my mind priceless!
    I have been watching virtually every thread, to gain more insight on what’s out there and what might make me happy for the next 25 years! LOL I know that if you were to pull all my threads, it looks like I’m kind of spinning a bit as to what I am gonna buy. I’ve considered Alembic, Spector, Pedulla (heck, I bought a SX 5er just to find out if I like 5ers!... I really don’t… but it might be the playability of the bass?) and I am now considering a couple of other “high end” basses. I really want to get a bass that will satisfy my playing and tone requirements, however locally, my options are somewhat limited. I did however come across a shop that does carry some unique, quality instruments and have decided to go check it out this Saturday. I’ll update you as to my success!
    So, in closing, I want to say thanks to all who have replied to my many inquiries, both on the board and through PM’s… I truly appreciate your knowledge and your willingness to share! I will have that new bass and in large part, it will be with the help of the many good people here!
    Sorry for the long winded post, but I felt I had to do it!
    fishheadjoe

2. Welcome to TalkBass!! and welcome back to Bass in general!

3. mophead

mophead Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Texas Panhandle
    Try a Lakland if you get the chance. Might work for you.

4. DaveF

DaveF

Dec 22, 2007
    New Westminster, BC
    Wow, how many forums have posts like this? Best. Website. Ever.

5. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    I'm with ya there Fishhead. Roughly the same story, except in NY and have 7 and 9 year olds (which made it harder to buy back into the game with a MIA P).

I feel like an amputated limb was reattached. Wife noticed how happier I am as well and if I won't hit the sack without at least an hour of bass time fun.

+1 on being out of the loop. There's so much info here it's like I never knew the instrument.

6. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,

Funshawe College....... Seems to ring a bell lol. I had a similar experience. This place (TB) is a godsend. The Bass will always be your friend and when you put it down you can always pick it up again.

Rezdog

7. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Awesome. I picked up my basses again in 2004 after a more than decade-long hiatus from playing. It was so rewarding to be playing again.

And bass shopping is one of the greatest things around, IMO. So many good affordable choices these days. Enjoy!

TB is a great forum with some really helpful people. OTOH, I have spent a lot more than I should on gear as a result, but for me, it beats spending money on cars or clothes or the like.

8. Rezdog, we called it "Gum shoe" college when we went there!
    Thanks gus, appreciate your warm comments!
    fishheadjoe

9. Twiggy Jr.

Twiggy Jr.

Nov 17, 2005
    Oklahoma
    werd!!!

10. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    If I suddenly found myself without any basses and I had to buy one quickly my short list would pretty much be:

Current production MIA Fender
    Lakland Skyline

There are lots of worthy basses out there, but by focusing on those two I could probably get something very usable in less than 24 hours.

But by all means, enjoy the hunt - it's half the fun! And welcome back to music.

KO

11. Thanks to all for the kind words... I have managed to find the bass to end all basses, for me anyway!
    After trying out an Fbass, a Bongo, Stering, Warwick, numerous Fenders, a Suhr, a Lakeland and a Sodowsky, I finally landed on a Roscoe! LG 3000 came home with me on Saturday!
    Oh, my what a bass! I'll post some pics and my thoughts in a new thread, later today!
    Just wanted to say thanks to all!
    Playing in bliss! :bassist:
    fishheadjoe