Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Its time to show your mod Geddy Lee!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by joeyang761020, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Hi, all!!!!!
    Ive been looking into a Geddy Lee Jazz bass. I am toally in love with the neck, and its playability.(It plays like Butter.....put it that way) But I am not really a big fan of the black body/white pickgaurd combination. So there was a idea come across mine mind. There gotta be tons of people who modifyed their Geddy Lee on this forum. So...........LET SEE IT!!!!!! :)

2. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    There's already a thread like this...

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147985

BUT this thread gives me ample opportunity to show off my newly modded Geddy...

Okay, so removing the neck to adjust the rod was a real pain... and the Geddy was getting jealous of the Ray5's spokewheel.. so ta-da! Now it has a spokewheel of it's own (with a little routing) and playing with the rod is easy stuff. I also added a push-pull series/parallel switch.

Attached Files:

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    How'd you install a spokewheel truss?

4. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Not to steal anyone's fire, but I too have done this to my Geddy. The spokewheel truss is easy to install and is a great mod if you do yuor own truss tweaks... You can purchase the spokewheel nut at stewmac.com. The stock Fender one comes off pretty easily, you just loosen until it comes off, and the Stewmac one screws right on (same threading). The harder part is notching the body and pickguard so the neck will fit back on. I used a router to notch the body, and a dremel tool to notch the pickguard.

5. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    If you're comfortable with routing it shouldn't be much of a hassle, but if you're not you should probably get a tech to do it or something. We put in some washers before putting in the spoke nut, because the spoke was a little shorter than the stock Fender (I think). Yes, the hard part is notching the body. You'll want to take extra caution here so that it comes out looking acceptable. We routed the body and pickguard at the same time.