Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

iTunes Encoder question.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Slot, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Slot

Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    When importing, is the AAC encoder's quality/file-size ratio more efficient than the MP3 one, or are they the basically the same?

which do you use? ....i'd never heard of aac till now.

2. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    AAC is a pretty rare audio format, so i think it would be best to stick with .mp3. I've imported alot, and it all sounds damn fine.

3. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    From what I've noticed, AAC sounds better than mp3s compressed to the same bit rate (the music store uses AAC's at 128). I don't see what the rarity of a file format would have to do with its quality.

4. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    Supposedly AAC is better at low bit rates (like 128) but worse at high ones (above 192).
    But since there is no objective measurement of quality I suggest you do a test yourself. Import a song at different settings and see what you like.
    I have come to use 256 VBR mp3.

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yeah, generally all the AAC/mp3 A/B comparisons I've done, AAC has sounded better too me.

Also, I don't know what about this but AAC seems to respond better to the Sound enhancer feature, that is, .mp3 gain some clarity, while the AAC seems to gain a lot more clarity.

AAC is pretty rare, but it's not proprietary, and hopefully apple's pushing of it(on the most popular music store and music player) will help make it more mainstream. Much like how they helped make USB and firewire more mainstream.

There are plugins to allow AAC play on non iTunes players readily avail. From what I remember.

I remember seeing a big chart comparison with all the latest compression formats, Mp3, ogg, FLAC, AAC, WMP...etc and AAC(in numbers) came in on the bottom of many(not all) of the tests. But the problem with testing compression is that it varies with each song. Some songs will compress in AAC very well, but others might not take to it in the same way.

And also, a lot depends on the quality of the speakers you will be playing the music out of, if you have really high quality audiophile hi-fi super speakers, pretty much any form of compression is going to sound really crappy, but if you have a little boombox or computer speakers or something, prety much any compression will sound fine ;)