Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

iTunes is making my CDs skip! Help!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eli M., Feb 14, 2005.

1. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    iTunes is making my CDs skip when I play them back. I played the CDs elsewhere and there's nothing wrong with them. I ran a CD lens cleaner and that didn't help.

I tried importing the music and it was still skipping when I played it back from the file. This has only happened this week so all my other music on iTunes plays back fine - it's just a problem with CDs I'm trying to import now. So, does anyone have an idea of what the problem might be, and what I could do to fix it?

2. Could your CD drive be biting the dust?

3. Eli M.

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    The CD drive is fine. I'm able to play CDs in Windows Media Player.

4. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Re-install it? Or even just rip them onto your HD.

5. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    In the native (Mac) version of iTunes, there is an options under preferences for CD import error correction, that is turned off by default. Not sure how to navigate you to those options in the Windows version, but I'm sure the option is there...

Sometimes settings akin to Mac preferences are found under a "tools" menu in Windows... just a guess.

Hope that helps...

6. Eli M.

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    That option is there, and turning it on or off doesn't make a difference. I think that's for when the CD itself is skipping, which isn't the case here.

(This is my 100th post on TB! :D but of course my iTunes is still skipping :meh: )

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I just can't believe this. According to some people's logic, this would mean that iTunes sucks. :D

In reality, I have no idea, my copy of iTunes never does that.

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Very peculiar. I've never heard of anything like that. Is it a burned CD or a purchased CD? does the CD have any enhanced features? What version of iTunes? What is the CD?

It's especially peculiar because everytime I've had a scratched CD iTunes has managed to either import it without skipping, or if it's REALLY bad, import it without stopping playback. :meh:

Also, have you checked out the tech support pages on apple.com? they are generally pretty good.

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    the only similar case I can think of is a guy who had onboard sound and an aftermarket sound card. He turned off the onboard soundand everything went back to normal. this wasn't iTunes though, it was an M-Audio mixer.

10. Eli M.

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    This happened with two CDs, both purchased: Steve Khan's "Let's Call This" and the original cast recording of "Jacques Brel is Alive and Well and Living in Paris." Neither has any enhanced features, and I'm using the latest version of iTunes.

I'm not sure if I was clear on this before, but the CDs themselves are still in good condition even after this happened.

I've been talking to a couple of my friends who know iTunes and they didn't know what to do. I'll take a look at the tech support pages and report back to this thread when I figure out the problem.

11. Eli M.

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    Since my last post I have done the following:
    -looked at the tech support pages and found nothing
    -defragmented my hard drive
    -reinstalled iTunes

and still iTunes is doing this terrible thing! I double checked with another CD that I know is good (Brothers Creeggan, "Trunks") and it is still doing it.

I want to import my music! :help: