1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Itunes Library Help

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bluewine, Apr 30, 2009.

1. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    How do I transfer my Itunes library to my new lap top?

thanks

blue

2. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    How big of a library? Mac or Windows? Songs purchased from iTunes, or Digital Rights Management (DRM) free? Have you been to the Support site?

The idea is this: The music in your old PC is typically in the 'My Music' folder of 'My Documents'. How are you moving 'My Documents'? If you have moved all of My Documents to the new PC, you may have already moved the music files and the iTunes library index. On a Mac, it's a similar idea. There's quite a bit of good Googling for this.

The only tricky part is if you have a lot of DRM'd iTunes purchases, you have to 'deauthorize' the old PC. It's in the 'Advanced' Tab.

Really, you should be checking the Support web site.

3. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Try Here

It is a thread at an iLounge forum. I don't ever use those forums but a quick search popped that thread up. I just quickly skimmed. If it isn't what your looking for try a search (don't forget to enter the captcha at the bottom of the search function).

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If you have an external hard drive, I would recommend copying the entire library to that, and back to the new computer. You can then import the entire library into iTunes on the new computer.

5. +1, that's what I did

6. Or you could possibly network the two computers? Then transfer the files that way.

Maybe I'm wrong though?

It's just a matter of getting all the files from one computer to the next and then importing them into the new iTunes library. Obviously you will have a problem if you have protected songs though...

Just Google that shi' yo.

Good luck with the new computer

7. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Houma, LA
    Move the files to the new computer however you like. If it is a lot of files I would suggest a hard drive. Once the files are on the new computer open itunes and go to the file/add folder to library option. Select the top most folder and add it. I-tunes will add all files and sub folders. Super easy.

8. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    If you are on a mac use time machine. It will do everything for you... even programs that you had on your old machine.

9. mcbosler

mcbosler

May 12, 2000
    Plano, TX
    Lots of ways. The previously mentioned method of moving the library to an external drive is good because you can have your library on whatever computer you plug it into. Another way - if your iPod can hold all of your tunes you can get sharepod or yamipod for pc or senuti for mac. Those programs allow you to transfer the songs from the iPod to any iTunes library. iTunes also has a feature that allows you to burn a backup of your library on a disc that you can pop into the new computer and import.