Itunes question - pause between songs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jenderfazz, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Ok, so you know when you're listening to a cd and the tracks flow seamlessly from one to the next? Well, when playing an album as mp3s on my computer, there is a second-long lapse between each song, and I can only assume it's the computer opening the following song. I like listening to cds as a whole and it's just great when the whole thing flows perfectly. Some songs just go into one another (the Mars Volta comes to mind) and the silence breaking each song is just annoying me. I tried to crossfade, and even at 0 seconds, the lowest setting, there is a noticeable fade-in. Does anyone know a way each track could play immediately after the other? Thanks in advance.
  2. elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    This has bothered me too quite a bit. I listen to a lot of live albums, and it sort of destroys the life "feeling" when the audience suddenly is dead quiet for half a second between two songs. Even worse when one song is segueing into another.

If there's a fix, I need it.
  3. julo

Jan 18, 2005
    Boulder, CO

4. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I do believe theres a place where you can change the amount of silence between tunes. I know you can on iTunes, but I'll have to check on my iPod.
  5. Unfortunately it may require you to "re-rip" your music in those cases. All you have to do is pick the tracks and select join tracks from the advanced menu (i think it's the advanced). It may be different if you're on windows. I say you'll have to re-rip only because you can't join after you've imported separte tunes. There may be a 3rd party app out there that can do that.

Anyway, it will join your two tracks as one, combining the names with a dash in between. There will be no pause and you'll have a seamless tune.

Hope that helps.
  6. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    IIRC Itunes allows you to make one super track for live albums. But you have to re rip.
  7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The gap is inherent in the mp3 format. This is not an iTunes specific issue, it happens to some extent on ALL mp3 players.

Most other digital formats do allow continuous playback. For example, if I rip tracks in AIFF or WAV format and play them in iTunes I get no gaps between tracks.
  8. What about M4A format (aka MPEG Layer 4)? Most of my tracks are M4A and they exhibit the same problem... unless the fact that it's an MPEG is what causes the gap... Thanks for the one track per cd suggestion, although it's nice to choose a certain track without having to search for it, and it would mean a LOT of re-ripping.
  9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Everything you'd like to know about mp3 gaps is here:

The reason for this weirdness of mp3 is simple: It was never intended to be used the way it is today! MPEG itself is an acronym for "Moving Picture Experts Group" and the various MPEG formats were developed for compression of VIDEO. The concept of gapless playback of audio files was not a concern because audio only playback wasn't even a target application of the format!

As I wrote in my earlier post, iTunes can do gapless playback IF the source files allow it and mp3 simply does not. Just one more reason that I have no interest in mp3, it's a very flawed format.
  10. elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    I've done the "join tracks" thing on a couple of Dream Theater live CDs. But then you can't easily skip songs. So that is a half-assed solution, if you pardon my french.

I agree that the mp3 codec isn't much good. I use AAC (at 192kbps). Sounds much better. But still there's a gap. One would have thought that they would have thought up a solution for that by now - isn't AAC newer than mp3?