1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I've always had bad timing...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steve f, Apr 22, 2010.

1. steve f

steve f Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Toxic, Maryland
    ...but this is ridiculous.

I just took delivery of a custom fretless from Pete Skjold.
    It's a beautiful bass in every way.
    About a week later, I was on vacation and walking on the beach in Anguilla (beautiful place, BTW). I stepped on a thorn and reached down to pull it out of my heel and the other end was equally sharp and broke off in my finger - exactly where I stop a string with the tip of my left index finger!

Well, after two weeks of hoping it would work it's way out, I finally removed it surgically last Friday.
    It's hell playing a brand new bass with 3 fingers!
    Can't wait to feel better but I'm afraid the tip of my finger's gonna be sensitive for a while.

:crying:

2. dude...

dude...

damn.

3. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

Jun 29, 2009
    Carol Stream, IL
    Pick?

4. cmewhinney

cmewhinney

Jul 11, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Wrong hand.

5. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    work on tapping

when you get lemons...

6. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Must be the same finger you use to take photo's, because I'm not seeing any photo's in this thread of the Skjold fretless.

:)

7. steve f

steve f Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Toxic, Maryland
  8. Pete does incredible work!
    And believe it or not a little scotch tape will actually help, or a little vaseline over the wound. Heal quickly!!

9. ^What he said, and maybe superglue if you can get it on thick enough that it doesn't bend too much when you move it.

10. JaySwear

JaySwear

Apr 15, 2010
    Gaithersburg, MD
    what a pretty bass... i'll play it for you until you're feeling better if you'd like! :)

please?

EDIT: just saw you're in baltimore :D she and i would see a movie, and i'd have her back before 10! haha

11. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    Injuries are hell... i cut my thumb (fretting hand) open severely and had surgery back in 2007... was out a good 3 months.... be glad its only a couple of weeks... take this time to listen to more music when you'd be busy playing.... thats what i did...

12. James Judson

James Judson

Jul 16, 2009
    I recently met a bass player that was incredible. He used only one finger on his left hand. You would probably say he would be a better bass player if he used more than one finger. His problem was he only has one finger on his left hand. So whats your excuse? You probably want to play more complex bass lines. Just keep in mind simple bass line identify with more of the audience.

I feel your pain tho. I had a parrot than chomped a big gash in the end of my middle finger once. I was putting him in his cage as I was leaving for a gig.

13. Could you define "identify" for me please?