1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I've become lazy AF

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ThuzzleFump, Jan 27, 2017.

1. ThuzzleFump

ThuzzleFump All your bass...

Nov 15, 2015
    California
    I went on a buying spree and have picked up a bunch of quirky shortscales with slim necks...Klira, Micro-Frets, Baldwin Burns, and, skinniest of all, a Framus 5/140 with a body like a softshell turtle and a neck like a broomstick.

Now all of my Fenders and Fender-likes feel like giant unwieldy beasts. I still love 'em, but goodness I am lazy about wielding those big necks and 34-34.5 scales.

Hope it's just a passing infatuation. Who else has had bouts of the shortscale/skinny neck bug?

2. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Tried a Kala U-bass a few times. Shortest thing I ever played. Felt like a toy, never went back.

3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i've been tempted for some time to try a shorter scale instrument, but i remain ambivalent. i'll be interested in following your journey on this one. good luck!

ThuzzleFump likes this.
  4. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    I'm also tempted to pick up 1 or 3 just for the heck of it/add to my collection but not sure how to even play some of those...

Edit: Do you play those U-Bass style instruments like regular bass? What kind of music do you find these played on? It's kind of like Mandolin to me, I like how they sound and have interest in learning but I'm not big into Bluegrass or Country so I don't see myself playing once the "new" wears off. Sorry if thread hi-jack.

5. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    I have and play both long and short scales, and it goes in cycles. Right now my P bass with Steve Harris flats feels like home. Next week it may be my Hofner or Guild, or a long scale with Jazz neck. They are my friends. I love them all for different reasons. I've never quite brought myself to something like a Ashbory or U-Bass. Maybe, they sound like fun.

ThuzzleFump likes this.
  6. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I've realized its not just scale length, body size and mass have a lot to do with how a bass feels. My hybrid Steinberger is standard 34" scale, but the small body I made for it, and absence of a headstock makes it " feel" like a short scale. I do find myself gravitating towards smaller basses as I get older, the physically smallest and lightest example being a Hofner or other violin bass clone. I have the beginnings of arthritis in my hands, the stretches on long scale are getting more difficult. I can see a day coming where all the long scale basses get sold or passed on to my son in favor of just a couple short scales.

ThuzzleFump likes this.
  7. ThuzzleFump

Nov 15, 2015
    California
    Yeah, the Klira is very similar to a Hofner 500 and it has given me a real appreciation for the violin-style bass. So light, so easy to play, and I am a fan of the tone. I understand why Sir Paul has stuck with it for over 50 years.

Pimpernel Smith and fermata like this.
  8. lostreality

lostreality

Sep 2, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I'd be all over a cheap SS with a nice fat Precision style neck and P/J pickups

ThuzzleFump likes this.
  9. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    Mountain West
  10. Klira violin basses are a great treat. I prefer them over the Hofner German made instruments. Hard to find, though.

ThuzzleFump likes this.
  11. ThuzzleFump

Nov 15, 2015
    California
    Yes, I stumbled across mine. It had had a tough life. When I got it the neck was heavily bowed and it was strung with four guitar strings. The neck was held on by one giant woodscrew. I only had seen pics so I took a chance--it looked to have just been poorly maintained, and, sure enough, the truss rod appeared to have never been adjusted. I reset the neck and glued it, and it is fully functional. It's missing a few screws that I've yet to source, but overall it's a solid and wonderfully playable instrument. I have never played a Hofner; the Klira would be tough to beat, I'd say.

I'll do an NBD post on it when I have time next weekend.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  12. I love my...
    '67 Fender Coronado II 30"
    Rob Allen Mouse Fretless 30"
    Duesenberg Starplayer 30"
    Just bought a Kala Ubass.

They are the first basses I pick up.
    Once you go shortscale........

13. I was in a local music big box store earlier today. The had a store wide sale going on so i stopped in. Wandering around i picked up a KALA, having never held one and somewhat doubtful of it. It sounded incredible and it took everything in my power to leave without it. Mostly because i bought a MIA Fender PJ in early January, Im trying to be good, but its hard...so very hard