Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I've been a bad, bad boy...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Apr 18, 2002.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Y'know, I'm pretty much GASsed out. I have just about all I could ever want in musical gear, or so I keep telling myself.

I have enough electric basses to fill all of my tonal needs. I have a decent electric guitar, an acoustic twelve, and a decent six. I have a great rack, and a decent practice rig. I even tried my hand at resonator guitar, but returned it because I just wasn't happy with my progress.

There's only two major things I still want badly enough to actively plan on getting - a second Bag End S15-D, and a ABG.

Strike that. I still need a second Bag. :D

Yep, my patience finally paid off. A Tacoma Thunderchief showed up in MF's scratch and dent section, and I jumped on it. (It's really nice to have a MF Platinum Card with a large open limit!)

Here's hoping it's in good enough shape to be worth the price and worth keeping! Every one I've had a chance to play has been fantastic, so I'll take the chance for the cost of shipping.

Wee-hee!

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    You're pretty full of yourself. LOL:D :p

Congrats on the new Tacoma Thunderchief. Can't wait to see pics of her.

3. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Hey, I have bigger boobs than some women I know! :eek:

I was referring to my rack amplification rig, silly goose...

4. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    It's here!

There's a very small amount of damage to the top - finish cracks about an inch long where it took a blow through the case to the upper bout. Nothing I can't fix in an evening (I had to do the same to my Seagull). Everything else about it looks untouched - it even still had the plastic tied-on tags still in place!

Very, very impressive tone and volume! I have a set of LaBella "Deep Talkin" acoustic strings coming from Carvin, and will try swapping out the Elixirs when they show up.

I've wanted a decent ABG for sooooo long!

5. Yo HeavyD, I wasn't a big fan of the Elixirs on my CB10 (I like Nanowebs on my Taylor guitar for fingerpicking, though), and I got Dude's demo set of D'Orazio ABG strings. I like the D'Orazios a whole lot, and will probably get another set when it's time to change them on the Taco. Cool bass--glad you got your hands on one!

6. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    As an update...

Last night was the first time my guitarist and I were able to sit down and play strictly acoustic for more than a few minutes. We put in about two solid hours of unamplified joy.

Damn! What a bass!

Volume: fine, so long as I use a pick. I can keep up with him on his six fingerstyle, but the aggressive attack from pickstyle works better. When he plays the 12, fingerstyle is audible, but not in your face. Pick works MUCH better!

Tone: to die for!

7. I've tried out (because of my job) most every ABG around, and the Taco is way ahead of any other, including Martin, Taylor and Warwick. Congrats.

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    ...but what is MF?

9. Musician's Friend

10. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
  11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Oh...duh. Thanks guys :)

12. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    ...also known as MoFo...

13. Fo' sho'. Yo.

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

15. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm beginning to think it's never over...