I've been "Fenderized" !

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NJXT, May 11, 2001.

1. NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    During my recent vacations, I was back in my hometown and I did a little tour of the music stores, looking for a good, cheap fretless.
    I did'nt found one but in one store I used to go a lot when I was living there, the sales guy adviced me to buy a cheap JB copy (like Hohner or Aria) and then make it defretted. In fact, he was trying to sell me a second hand Hohner JB copy. I tried it, and it felt like total crap.
    A MIM JB was hanging next to the Hohner and, to compare, I also tried it. I've tried several Fender JB and PB before but never really liked them.
    But this time, this bass was just feeling right ! Easy playing, comfortable, good sound, good looking. No dead spot (to my ears anyway), no humming.
    I've waited one day to be sure, gone back to store and tried it another time. I really enjoyed it again and bought it. (It's a standard MIM JB, sunburst).
    I've been "Fenderized" !
    Just wanna share.
  2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    MIM´s are good

maybe you would want to de-fret it... or save for a good fretless and keep the MIM for a backup :)
  3. NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    I'm keeping the MIM fretted to backup my 5 strings BassCollection.
    But know I 'm thinking about buying another MIM JB, but a fretless one, and upgrading this one : pups, bridge ...
    (insane, powermad, G.A.S.ed laugh).

I love it.
  4. I done bin fenderized too,pa!!!

I love my american p bass......plays great,sounds better,and looks like a million bucks!I can see why people fall in love with fenders! I know I have! :D
  5. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    welcome to the family, you will never regret it
  6. Adam Clayton

Adam Clayton

Jan 19, 2001
    Yea - Welcome NJXT - once you are a member you are always a member !!
  7. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Bought a collector's piece a while back. Not for the vintage, but for the signature. It's a beautiful black/tortoise 75 RI MIJ unlined fretless signed by Victor. BUT... I have been playing it more and more, and really enjoying it as a player!
  8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

:rolleyes: What's it coming to??? Next thing you know, the boy's going to be wantin' "le hamburger" and "le hot dog" for le dejeuner!!!! ;)

Congrats, NJXT! Should work nicely with your Warwick.
  9. NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    I like to drop by McDonald's from time to time ;)

Thx. Since I'm still in vacation, I didn't have a chance to try it with my amp yet but I'm looking forward to it. Next rehearsal will be Fender or will not be ;)

I have a question though about MIMs : I've removed the pickguard and was surprised to see that the body seems carved differenlty than the "standard" american Jazz bodies (as seen in the Fender catalog as spare part).
    So, I was wondering if the dimensions (neck, body ...) are exactly the same between MIM and MIA ?
  10. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I wouldn't call myself fenderized, but ever since I got my first bass which is a Lefty Squier Special P, I've been quite fond of Fender. The only thing I really dislike about their basses is the look. Personally I think the Ibanez line looks the best, then the MusicMan Stingrays. But, even though my Special P doesn't look great, it has a great sound to it.
  11. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    I'm so sorry to hear this, Nathanael! Not even you could stay off the "mainstream" :(
    Well, let's hope you find yourself again, and make some good music.

Oooops, forgot a dozen of ;) ;) ;) etc!
    A good J is a great bass - Enjoy your J! :D
  12. NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    I know, I know ... shame one me ...
    I should have stick to 4000$ luthier's basses ...
  13. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    We are Fender. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.