I've been seriously ripped off...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joris, Apr 23, 2004.

1. Last year I bought a car, a Fiat Marea station wagon. For not too much money. It had been in a crash, but was still in good shape and it was approved at the obligatory car inspection (regulated by law in NL), so I had proof it was a safe car. All is good, been driving it for a year. This week, I bring it in for the yearly inspection at Fiat, and it doesn't pass. Fiat concluded the chassis beams in the motor compartment are bent, because of said crash. Repairs will be around 700 euros, which is $850.

My own conclusion: the car should have never, ever been approved a year ago. I've been seriously ripped off, and I'm considering legal action against the firm who wrongfully passed the car.

So I'm a bit mad, right now.
  2. Damn dude, that sucks.
    Good thing you didnt have a crash or something seeing it was unsafe
  3. That's real bad....and could have been very serious if you yourself were involved in a collision....hell it could even have been disaterous just driving it depending on how extensive the damage was.....700 euros sounds extensive enough to me!

Definitely sounds as if whoever passed the car 1 year ago didn't do the inspection properly.....what kind of comeback do you have in The Netherlands??? Good luck if you do proceed with legal action!
  4. That sucks that you got hosed, but it sounds like you're getting off pretty easy. Heck, getting a dent pulled and paint touch up will set you back around half that amount, and that's got nothing to do with structural damage. I hit a deer 3 years ago and had $1500 for a broken headlight, foglight, dented hood, dented quarterpanel.
  5. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Sorry to hear this, my friend, hope it works
    out well.
  6. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    If you have papers from the company which say "this car is in full condition", then you are not to blame. As you don't have any expertise in car mechanics, you hired their expertise to inspect the car on your behalf, and they as qualified car mechanics testified that it is roadworthy.

Contact the company that did the inspection, and make a reclamation for your damages, the repair costs. I'm sure they will agree, as they might lose their licences and/or official licence of the car brand/insurance company if you notify the officials about the situation. If they don't, sue their asses, but try to fix the situation unofficial routes at first.
  7. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    sorry to hear that dude...

for futuare, this is what i do when i buy used cars... take it to mechanic that i trust (in this case guy i worked for about 4 years and still good friend with)
    i never trust dealership or gov myself...

but ya... few time (i am looking to buy a car right now) i checked out a car it looked fine... brought it to him and found 3000$ worth of imidiat problems...

Good luck man:] hope it turns out ok