Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I've been Stung.....by my new signature!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Las Olas, Oct 27, 2003.

1. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Hey guys

Got my Sting sig a week or two ago. Mint cond, Ebay, £450 inc Precision hard case. Very happy with it, slapped some flats on, it's so boomy and thumpy, even more so than my Thumb, or Yamaha TRB6P. Really groovy, cant wait to whack it out during a gig.

Pic:

[​IMG]

The Sting sig at 12th fret doesnt bother me, as it evidently does to some TBers who have this. Generally I've read good reports on here.

Thoughts? Comments?

Mike

2. Sting kicks butt...and those look like great basses. I really like em(even the name on the 12th)

Only question is, do you find that pickup noisy? I heard that they can be? Any truth to this from your experience thus far?

3. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Great question. This was my biggest concern, and I can honestly say I havent noticed even a hum. I do use the tone all the way over so it's bassy as poss, but it's been dead silent - a great relief. The only criticism i think is the glossy neck, which I want to sand, but dont want to lose the value of it.

Regards

Mike

4. All single coil pickups are noisey. I own this bass too, but I put in a noiseless Duncan pup and it rocks!

[​IMG]
    Treena

5. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Mine hasnt been loud enough for me to notice Treena - or would you say you notice it more when treble is cranked up? I'd assume so, and so I suppose I havent really noticed it because of that.

Just a thought - are you on MSN?

Mike

6. Yes, I normally turn both my tone and volume up full, and then I EQ from my amp and fingers.

Yes, I'm on MSN my name is Treenatwo@hotmail.com

[​IMG]
    Treena

7. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I played one at the local GC the other day, and really liked the feel of it. I didn't take the time to plug it in though. I never really gave it a second thought before because I don't like the huge pickguard on it. But since it has had some good reviews on it here, I checked it out.

Congrats on your bass.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    By chance have you taken off the neck? I'm wondering if a Sting Neck would fit in a P-bass neck pocket...?

9. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Thanks Treena and bydor.

I've never tried taking the neck off it - I suspect it's actually a bit thinner than a normal P-neck - maybe someone can confirm this?

Mike :)

10. i also have a sting signature bass, and yes the neck fits all japenese p-basses and jazzes as i have tried it on my 62 reissue p and my early 90's jazz, it really livend up my jazz but i missed it too much on the sting body to leave it on the jazz ! i use roto sound round wounds on all my basses and my rig consists of a swr 750x going thru a pair of ampeg svt 15's and a mesa boogie powerhouse 2x10 and i don't notice any noise from the pickup as others have stated ? i also use only the highest quality cables thru out the rig, so this may make the difference in noise etc...i also have a vintage sunn 200s which i pull out for special occasions, the sting bass really puts out some nice deep tones with that head, especially when run thru my 15's !

11. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    I have a Sting bass.

I love the feel of it, and when I play along with my Police CDs, it definately has that classic Police bass sound.

I was initially disappointed by the fact that mine doesn't seem to have a lot of bottom end to its tone. Someone suggested that I replace the pick-up with a Rio Grande pick-up.

I haven't messed with the action much, but I hear that there are better bridges which are a direct replacement, same screw holes and thru-body strung, etc. I don't know how much I want to modify this, though. Could it lose value by doing so?

The first thing I did was string it with lighter gauge strings. The ones it came with were way too heavy for that fret size, in my opinion.

My Sting bass is quiet. No hum. Only real thing I have to bitch about is how the 1/4 jack keeps letting the plug slip out. If it gets too troublesome, I can open it up and fix it.

It's not what I'd consider my best bass for all occasions because of it's tone, but overall I'm happy with it.

12. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    I have never played one, but I heard the Pickup is kinda Crappy, the tone is supposed to be real 'flat' like 2-dementional and not 'full'.

I got a 55-01 lakland, lots of people dont like it that much, but I LOVE it...

SO in the end, the only thing that matters is weather YOU like it or not, SO, Hope you love it, Enjoy :D

13. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    My 51 sunburst reissue is the same thing as the Sting, and the pickup isn't entirely dead silent. If I stand within a couple feet from any amp and either let the front of the bass or the butt-end of the bass face the amp it will hum but not loud at all. The single coil pup will pick up RF from any amp-yes even guitar amps if I stand close enough.
    I run vol up full and tone only half way, but I may install a Duncan pup soon though....

They're an awesome bass for gigging. The pup is not weak at all. Very big boomy low end with a very nice growl characteristic. I flew from Seattle to Nashville for a gig and took only this bass with me...it did just fine.

14. The neck will work (as said earlier) in the MIJ jazz and P basses!

If you replace the pup, bridge and keep the originals, just tell the purchaser that you have the original parts and it should retain it's value.......but a MIJ is only worth so much, signature or not!

The value varies, when you actually drill new holes!

[​IMG]
    Treena

15. Gander

Gander

Jun 5, 2002
    Texas
    An easy cure for a sticky neck. Go over the back side lightly with 0000 steel wool. I pulled my bass neck off so I wouldn't mar the body finish. Novus fine scratch remover will bring the shine right back If you so desire.

16. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Same here, GREAT sounding bass. I put an EMG '51 P in mine.

17. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    can you clarify? i used to own a sting bass and IME, the squared off neck heel (see pic above) would not fit a standard rounded neck pocket of a p or j bass without some work or gaps, MIA or MIJ.

18. Skerik1

Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    I've played that bass, and I hated it. The tone was missing SOO MUCH. It wasn't very versitile at all. I found the neck to be very uncomfortable. I can see why Sting also played Spector basses ;)

--Matthew

19. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Skerik: I've never said it was versatile, myself. I dont think it is. But it's good for some styles I play.

Mike

20. to clarify the sting neck.. fitting on a mij p or jazz.....yes it fits....you can not put a regular p-bass or jazz neck on the sting bass without routing the body though ...so to doubly clarify...the sting neck fits on mij p's and jazzes but not vice versa because of the squared off neck....if you look closely at the attached pic, you can see my early 90's jazz with the sting neck, and my sting bass with the fretless jazz neck (i had to route the body slightly to accept the jazz neck though !)