1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I've been stupid and now it's all a mess!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Kaddock, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Kaddock

Kaddock

Feb 17, 2008
    I'm very new at playing the bass... And as in all love affairs, I've jumped in over my head! I had a major strip out with my strap locks... fixed with matches and glue! Check. Messed up beautiful bass with super glue! Check. Lol, I can fix that, but now I've gone and changed my strings to some Ernie Ball ones, and while they sound better than the others, now the sound in general is messed... I get insane amount of vibration on the frets (what do you call that?), I cut my largest string too short, and now can only drop to about D safely... And now I have been trying to fix it all and messed up the intonation... AAAAHHHH! Is there a simple guide to not being an idiot on this stuff, or would it be best to take it to the shop? Advice is much appreciated, as this is making me quite sad! I will be going in to the local shop tomorrow to ask the fellow there, and get rates for help, but I have a feeling it could be spendy, so if I can do it myself I will! Thanks :crying:

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    While doing a setup is not exceptionally difficult, you do need to find a reference to get the concepts behind what you're trying to accomplish, in addition to a step-by-step procedure. I'd suggest taking it in for a professional setup this time, which should cost $35 to $50, but it'll be worth it. The vibration is probably fret buzz, which could be the result of too low action or improper neck relief. You also may have a fret or two that needs to be seated or ground down. I'd google on "guitar setup" and see what you find. There should be plenty of info available.

Here's a link on bass setup.

On the strap button thing, it's too late now, but it's best to use a wood glue or plain old white glue (Elmer's or Wilhold). Any excess can be wiped off with a wet paper towel. I don't know if there's any salvation for your finish where the super glue went.

3. Kaddock

Kaddock

Feb 17, 2008
    I was told that Goof Off might work, but I am sure as hell not gonna try anything like acetone. I think there may be hope, but... Anyway, yes I will take it in to a shop for sure, the shop that I usually go to doesn't have a fret file though, so I might have to find a new shop. Thanks for the advice.

4. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Goof off will not remove cured CA glue. CA solvent will. It will also remove nitrocellulose, and several other finishes. So will acetone. The polys (urethane, ester) will not be affected by it. Test it in an inconspicuous are, like the over spray in a pickup cavity or under a neck plate.

5. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Goo gone won't remove superglue.

Pay a tech to setup your bass, but ask him if you can watch him do it for some pointers.

6. Don't ever use supeglue on ANYTHING unless you know what you're doing. Wood glue (including good old Elmer's white school glue) is perfectly adequate for strap button screw repairs.

And I agree - the only things that will take super glue off that bass are acetone or super glue remover. Test under the neck plate or some other invisible spot first. If you have a poly finish I think you'll be OK. If not, you learned an expensive lesson.

Suggestion: do some homework online before repairing something you're not familiar with.

7. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Just a thought....we probably shouldn't recommend neck and pickup removal to someone having problems with a basic setup.

;)

8. dreadheadbass

dreadheadbass

Dec 17, 2007
    england
    hmm sounds like you've been having fun i think the buzzing is down to changing strings ernie balls are probably not as high tension as your other strings so its given you a negative bow on the neck
    do i think your an idiot?... nope not at all the best way to learn is to do something wrong at least once

9. dbcandle

dbcandle

Jan 30, 2008
    Ahh, the good ol' days. Reminds me of putting too heavy a gauge strings on my '73 Jazz in the mid-70s, stripping the truss-rod nut/bullet when I over-tightened it, and warping the neck at the heel.

Experience is a great teacher!

10. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Maybe not. It is an advanced repair technique.

He has already changed his strings. He can't do too much harm pulling a pickup and replacing it. He may decide to do it or realize that this is something he does not want to do. Either way he learns something either about his guitar or himself.

Suggesting the neck plate removal is directed more toward someone with a bit more experience who may be reading this forum. But it also serves to educate our intrepid OP so that that he can make an informed decision as to whether or not he wants to tackle this job. Furthermore, if he elects to take the instrument to a tech he will be conversant on the specific repair.

Suggesting a spot for someone to test a chemical that is inconspicuous and does not involve a major removal isn't easy and is not made lightly. On the off chance that his strap button has a felt washer, he could test under that area. If the guitar has a pickguard that is another easy removal. Depending on the guitar, that is a spot that can come back to haunt at a later date. Pickup cavities are the best, neck pockets are good but usually don't get a lot of overspray. OTOH, if Kaddock tells us what kind of instrument he has we might be able to determine the finish and he will not have to remove anything.

11. Kaddock

Kaddock

Feb 17, 2008
    Thanks for all the advice, and in response to 202dy, I have a Schecter Stiletto Deluxe... What kind of finish do you think it has? I have already taken the bass in to the shop, and I wanted to have him give me some pointers, but there was about 8 instruments ahead of mine, and he said it will be about a week till I get it back.

12. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    just take it to the shop if you dont feel comfy with it

13. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Polyurethane.

At this point, that is probably the wisest thing you could do. If you are still interested in the craft, it would pay to pick up a copy of the Guitar Player Repair Guide by Dan Erlewine. It is an easy read and you will understand how your instrument is supposed to function, what to expect and what it won't do.