Ive been wondering about this...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bass18, Jan 24, 2002.

1. Bass18

Bass18 Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    Ok, so you need a speaker cabinet that can handle the low frequencies of a bass guitar. So what I was wondering, is that when you record a CD (in a band or solo situation) When you play it back, how are the normal CD player speakers able to reproduce the low frequencies (considering they are usually only 5 inch drivers)?
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

funky is right.

Another thing is, they aren't as heavy duty or sensitive as bass guitar speakers. Try playing your bass through them at 120+ dB for 1 hour straight. If they survive the first few minutes, the voice coils will probably catch fire.
  3. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I can't STAND listening to music in most car stereos, because many of them can't reproduce frequencies below 100-200 hz or so. It's like listening to music through a tweeter. The thing is, most people don't know any better. They don't even notice that you can't hear the frickin kick drum!
  4. That's true--I've never expected good sound reproduction from a car stereo, especially mine. I've seen Dynamat do wonders for guys/gals who have the money to spend on that kind of stuff though.

I think the fact that most consumer level speakers are far from full-range is masked by the way our brains subconsciously fill in the missing pieces based on the harmonic content. I mean, CD's technically aren't that full range either, but you listen to a Tool album* , and it seems like it's all there.

* funkycarnivore is not responsible for any damage to person or property that may occur as a result of listening to a Tool album.