1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I've Benn Boogied! Favorite Mesa 400+ Settings???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Quadzilla, May 2, 2006.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

All-

I just picked up my new (to me) Mesa 400+ from fellow local TBer D.A.R.K. (thanks again Doug!!!!!!). So I'm going to use this head for rock. 50/50 mix of classic and modern. I like a touch of overdrive going and love to cut thru (but don't dig screetching, clanky highs).

Can you Mesa 400+ users give me some suggested EQ setting to start with. I've read this head is not real easy to EQ and dial in tone. Oh, I run active basses (a Cirrus and a LeCompte with Bart soapbars and pre-amp).

MUCHO THANKS!!!!

Pics of my new baby:
    mesa3.
    mesa1.

2. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY

I don't like high mids too much, so I had the Mid knob at 2, Bass knob at 8, and Treble knob at 6-7. I would kick in the graphic EQ sometimes, and I had it set up like a sinusoid. Lower 40 a little bit, slight boost on 100, same on 250, 625 flat, very slight drop on 1560, boost on 3900. I only had the 6 band EQ, so I don't know what that last value is, but I'd boost it. I use an active bass, so I'd keep the volume on Input 2 around 6 or 7, and the volume on Input 1 around 4, to match. I've heard that you get better results if you're connected to both inputs at once, but I on't tried that one time, and I didn't hear a huge difference. I also have the treble and volume knobs pulled out, but not the bass. When I pull the bass knob out, the low end was all over the place, but I was playing into an NV215, so it might work for you. But that's just me, and I never could really find my tone in the 400+ anyway :meh: so take that for what it's worth.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I actually take a different approach with my Bass 400, and I tend to set my Bass, Mid, Treble set up closer to 4-10-4 (with I believe 2-10-2, being closer to "flat").

Tom.

4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    That's prety much how I ran mine, and then used the sliders to tweak to taste. For more grind, run channel volume higher, and master volume lower...

5. Quadzilla

Thanks guys. Pull knobs in or out?

6. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    I used them on a "season to taste" basis...

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Normally in, but I'm not afraid to pull them out if the bass/cab/gig call for it.

Tom.

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Quad...lets see...I'm trying to remember how I ran mine..

I played strictly classic rock when I had that head...think Aerosmith, Zepplin, Stones, etc.

I ran a y cable into both channels, both the bass and treble knobs pulled out, bass at about 4, mids 8-9, treble 4-5. On the EQ, I cut 40hz a bit and kept the rest almost flat, with just slight tweaks to suit the room. Using a Lakland Darryl Jones, running through a Bergantino NV610, I was pretty much in ton heaven. Of all the heads I've had, this is the one I wish I would have held onto.

9. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Pull Knobs: Which ones pull out & what does pulling them out do? Thanks.

10. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    The bass and treble knobs both pull out. When pulled out, each knob shifts the frequency center a bit more towards the midrange. This gives somewhat of a perceived volume boost.
    The channel volume knobs also pull out. Each of those is a high boost for each respective channel.

11. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
  12. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    This is generally the settings I use. Except I just run into channel 2 with the volume knob pushed in.... bass and treble(most of the time for the treble) knobs pulled out.

You're gonna love this head Quad. We have similar tastes in amps. I used an AG500 and a GS212 before I got my Mesa 400+ and Berg NV425. I really liked the AG500 and the 212, but I traded the AG for the Mesa and the 212 is now sitting unused in the garage(still can't decide if I want to get a lightweight head for a medium sized rig, or just sell it). But, you're gonna love the Mesa/Berg.

13. Quadzilla

Thanks Ray!!! I'm gonna love the Mesa/Berg setup and my wife and neighbors are gonna hate me this eve! :smug:

14. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I gig with a 400+/NV610.
    My settings are:
    Mid between 8-10
    Bass---------0-2
    Treb---------0-2
    Master 6 -------@ 200w max output * (see amp-mod link below)
    pre volume two 4.5
    pre volume one 6.5
    No pulls

My setup uses an ABY pedal into both chanells.

A= ch.1 cleanish tone.
    B= ch.2 thicker more gain, a little louder
    Y= ch.1 and 2 more everything, a little louder

And then a Mesa EQ-on/off pedal.
    This engages the 400+ EQ, set with a 15% boost of 40hz,(all others flat). This gives me a nice fuzz tone, and yet a little more volume.
    This method gives me 4 (footswitchable) tones.

15. Off.

I keeed, I keeed. Because I love.

16. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    The EQ section is nearly the same on my old Bassman 100. I find that running it right around here - either 3-10-3 or 3-10-4 (4 being bass), the tone is the best.

17. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I go into both inputs, generally with the vol 1 on a higher setting (although it gets about the same volume as 2) with volume 2 pulled out most of the time. I run just about everything at 5, sometimes cutting and sometimes boosting mids. None of the EQs are pulled out.

18. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    For rock I tend to run:

Bass: 4/5 (out)
    Mid: 6/7
    Treble: 2 (out)

For my reggae gig:

Bass 7 (out)
    Mid 5/6
    Treble 0/1 (out)

I run both channels, master around 5, pre's at 2.5 and 4.

19. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I generally run it like a lot of the others at around 4-10-4 with Vol 1 maxed, and Vol 2 on 7-8. I then push or pull to taste and do the slightest boost on the lows with the graphic EQ.

Both channels going with an AB switch and a Pro Co Rat on channel 2 for extra dirt.

20. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    My 400 ships out tomorrow and should be here by friday. I don't know what I'm going to do to stay focused on IB exams hahaha.