Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I've built myself a crutch!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by keithconn, Jun 28, 2002.

1. Ahhh! After going to the music store this past week I realized that I built myself a god-awful crutch! I took a thumb rest and put it on my Fender P-bass a while back. And although it is very comfortable, I realized that I was unable to effectivly play any other bass that didn't have one!!

Tonight - first thing - that thumb rest is coming off and never going back on. Of course I will have two holes in the bass, but whatever! Fenders look better a little damaged anyway.

Later -
    K.

2. uh ? why take it off if it works good for you ?

if you get another bass,just put another thumbrest on it..

i don't really see a problem here, dude

3. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I do. What if he gets to borrow a bass for a session or a gig, and can't play it? What if he gets a high end bass, and don't want to devalue it by putting a thumbrest on it? I'd say get rid of the thumbrest.

4. If I were in your case, I'd just learn to play with and without it. That way, you don't have to remove the thumb rest, but when you have to play with a bass without one, you can still play efficiently. But it's your call.

5. Thanks -

Yeah, I think Im seeing it becoming more of a problem than anything else. One problem is that playing over the p-pickup is fine, but if I switch to the j-pickup(I have a p/j), I am totally lost!

Also, as pointed out, when I buy a nice new 7 string bass;) , I am not going to put a plastic thumb guard on it! Or my other dream bass, a Ric 4003 ... theres no way a thumb rest is going on there either.

And last - I noticed last night, while playing a cool riff it sounded like garbage because I do a triplet on the open E string, then down to F on the D string, and the E string is still ringing because I am not muting it with my thumb!

The whole Thumb Rest is a bad idea if you ask me!

I am a reformed person ...
    Later -
    And thanks for your input everyone!
    K.

6. ummmm, i'm sure the pickups would make good thumbrests! ask 90% of the bass community! :D
    or your top string (B,E wotever) or a combination of the both, if your playing open E, rest on the pickup, then if your playing on the A string, rest on the E string to mute it, and so on over the strings!

*Si*

7. savagelucy

savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    Canada
    i've always used the pick-up, the end of the neck, or my E string for a rest. It's worked good for me.

8. I don't use a fixed thumb rest--it makes crossing strings harder, but makes muting a lot cleaner.

Besides, what do you do if you get a Lightwave-equipped bass?

9. well, because most lightwave basses are probly gonna be a custom jobby, u could have a subtle thumbrest added where your you play most, or use the strings for resting on, this greatly helps muting, and once u got it down, cuts out A LOT of cross string vibrations!

*Si*

10. Oh! Theres no doubt that the Thumb Rest is comfortable! Its like a big leather lazy boy for your thumb.

I just don't think its the smartest move in the bass world.

Thanks again.

11. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Take it off and don't even look back!

I've got two holes in my bass that have to be repaired right now from experimenting with a thumb rest.

My muting went all to the devil and I lost the ability to get that nice warm sound that you get when you pick up at the end of the fingerboard.

Floating thumb all the way for me.

YMMV

Pkr2