1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I've changed around my setups again, but I can't decide which one I should use more

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nyarlathotep, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Chorus -> Fuzz/Dist -> Comp

36 vote(s)
    61.0%
  2. Dist -> Wah -> OD

23 vote(s)
    39.0%
  1. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Most Recent Setup:
    [​IMG]
    Chorus -> Fuzz/Dist -> Comp

Major Gain/Really Fuzzy Setup
    [​IMG]
    Dist -> Wah -> OD

I've kinda decided that I should probably cool it on effects and decide on 1 setup. Other than the wah in setup 2 my playing style doesn't really include anything fancy, but it's still so hard to decide!

So, I'd like to know which one everyone here would chose if you could only use one of the boards.

2. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Distortion -> OD -> Compression?

3. if i could only choose one board or the other, it'd be the one with the wah...but, if i could mix and match, i'd go with sansamp->muff'n->wah->punch factory

4. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    +1. This is what I would do. Also, I just turned up the volume control on my SABDDI and now I get a bigger tone. I'll take pics and post clips later.:hyper:

Rock on.

5. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    I voted for the chorus > fuzzwah > compression. I think it'd sound great, you should post some clips (as you always love to do ;) )

Anyway, yeah, I think it'd sound the coolest. I know you have chorus, but have you ever tried some good flange with your setup? I think it possibly could be pretty nice with all that. If you can find any, try and get a BF-2, they sound great.

-Dash

6. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    I dont really like chorus, thats why my vote went for option 2. Granted I have a chorus on my board, but it was cheap, it bi-amps, and I have a spot for it with nothing else that would fit there.

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    How about the recent setup plus the wah?

8. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    Bass -> Aphex -> Muff -> Sansamp -> Amp

Or just

Bass -> Aphex -> Sansamp -> amp

That's how I would do it anyway, keeping it simple, yet powerfull

9. Why don't you put it one big board? That's what I'd do.

10. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Cus I like the tone that each one produces, and I want to keep my setup fairly small. If I put everything on one board I'm afraid that'd get out of hand :( . I'm basically trying to decide between 2 relativly simple setups. Cus I like both it's so hard :bawl:

Thanks for the responces so far :D Keep 'em comin'!

11. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

I'd get an ABY box and run your bass into the single input (the Y). Then run out from A to one board and B to the other. Now you can switch between both boards while keeping two seperate boards for portability. It's kind of like having a different tool belt for a different set of jobs.

12. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    OR.... you can let your band decide on which is best. After all, they are the ones that'll have to put up with your sound.

OR.... it seems you like chorus as well as wha. I say take those two with the PF, and add the distortion you think is best. 4 pedal setup... not that big huh?

13. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    What about tearing it all down and playing clean? Then add one effect at a time until you achieve two or three good sounds that you can go to instantly. I think you'll find that the sound you like is a hodge-podge from both set ups. Think of usefulness in a live setting. Hope that helps.

14. I'm not sure DarkHarted's in a band... I could be wrong though.

15. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Everything except for the "Dist".

16. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    While I don't exactly agree with either setup as it is, I think that the setup with the Muff'n would work best in a band setting.

The second board seems to be more of a solo board, IMO.

The Tuner, Sansamp, and NS-2 could easily find a home with your first setup.

17. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    :oops: Your right. I'd like to be in one, one day...

These two quotes really sum up what I've been thinking the last couple of days. The fact that the chorus board is winning by about 2:1 really reinforces that too.
    That's pretty much my feel for it as well. I've tried to get a kinda band friendly sound out of it, but it just starts to sound sucky unless I have everything cranked. I've also found myself getting board :rolleyes: with it cus it is kinda hard on the ears :scowl:
    I've actually done that, except for the SA. It's amazing, but until you compare it to a transparent amp setup, it changes the sound soooooo much. I didn't really believe it until I experimented with my PF as a recording interface, but it's true. Comparing it to my Muff'n, which has real tubes, the SA tends to over-do the tube sound.

RigPic-04-28-06.

As you can see, I've added a surge protector/power bar, so I figure I can't get more final than that!

18. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    BTW, cus of the PF's pad switch, I won't have to worry about not having one on my practice amp if I use it with an active bass! The search for a new bass has officially begun!

19. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Hahahahaha! Good one! :)

20. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    ^ Glad I made someone laugh ;) :D